1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Charlie Jones

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by playthrough, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

His call of Ben Johnson's infamous run in Seoul was pretty damn good, too. "Nine-seven-nine!"

2. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Think he also did the Bills' miracle comeback vs. the Oilers in the playoffs.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well never mind then... For some reason I thought Jones did that one.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I hear the name Charlie Jones and I smell the roast beef cooking (my mom's usual Sunday dinner fare), see the sun setting as well as the stack of homework sitting next to me and I remember the encroaching sense of doom: School tomorrow. but first, Raiders-Broncos.

Damn. I don't think I identified anyone with football like I did him. RIP.

5. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

As of late Saturday morning, the Jones story is at the bottom of NBCSports.com's main page, and you have a scroll far, really far, to even notice it. The headline is simply "Sportscaster Charlie Jones, 77, dies of heart attack," and it's an AP story.

That's a disgrace.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

or anyone of those old AFL teams - Dam BYH I can almost here Charlie Jones and smell the Roast Beef. Also starting to feel a little quizzy knowing that I have to study for my mid terms.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think the last thing I hear him announce was one of those double-headers ABC would do with the Mountain West Conference getting the nightcap. It was Utah or maybe UNLV at Wyoming with snow everywhere. I could have given a crap about the game, but I watched it just to hear Jones announce it. Can't say there are many left like that.

8. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

Will always remember growing up listening to him call those L.A. Raider games at the Coliseum with Merlin Olsen.

Surprisingly, they only worked together for one season - 1989.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Remember, now's not the time to start derogating deRogatis.

10. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I wasn't old enough to know that "derogating" is a word. :)

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Al Irregardless.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Don't know why this didn't make it in the obit. His stint hosting "Almost Anything Goes" with Regis Philbin. I actually enjoyed this show, particularly since they went out to these small towns.
    http://www.curtalliaume.com/aag.html

Draft saved Draft deleted