1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: Charles "Mask" Lewis + Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Mar 11, 2009.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

March 11, 2009

NEWPORT BEACH -- The owner of apparel company 'TapouT' was killed early Wednesday morning when his rare Ferrari crashed into a light pole at the end of what police say may have been a street race.

A Costa Mesa man has been arrested in connection with the crash.

A Porsche and a red Ferrari were traveling at a high rate of speed along southbound Jamboree Road near Camelback Street just before 1 a.m. Wednesday when the two luxury cars collided, police said.

The Ferrari lost control, hit a curb and crashed into a light pole, which toppled onto the car, crushing the front portion, said Newport Beach Police Lt. Steven Shulman.

An acquaintance of the victim identified him as Charles "Mask" Lewis, co-founder of the mixed-martial-arts apparel company TapouT, which also sponsors fighters.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Hours after the crash, the front portion of the luxury Italian sports car could be seen resting against a hillside several feet away with its lights still functioning.

The car appeared to be a Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano, an all-aluminum V12 with a top speed of 205 miles per hour and a price tag of about $300,000.

http://www.ktla.com/landing_topstories/?Victim-in-Deadly-Ferrari-Crash-IDd-as-Ta=1&blockID=236316&feedID=1198

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

RIP the Ferrari. It should have had a more responsible owner.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Will he be buried in his face paint and wacky clothes?

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I love the way Darwin doesn't discriminate between rich and poor. If you are dumb enough, you can off yourself.

5. lono

lono Active Member

Badass-looking car.

Dumbass-acting owner.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. markvid

markvid Guest

WHO?
    The guy, not the car.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

A witness at the scene said his last words were "what'd I do?" to which another bystander, a Mr. Bueller, replied, "you killed the car."

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Definitely a sad story and may The Mask RIP.

However, one thing REALLY troubled me about this story from a journalism standpoint. When the story mentions Kirby and Nabozny being arrested, it says each was "arrested for" the crimes they were charged with, not "arrested and charged."

In other words, the reporter set himself up for a libel lawsuit. And how do we know with complete certainty that particular Porshe is THE Porshe that was allegedly involved in this case?

I know now doesn't seem to be the right time to raise those questions, but they need to be taken into account.

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Light poles are dicks. How many innocent people driving drunk at 100 mph have to die before we get rid of light poles?

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Excellent.

11. lono

lono Active Member

I wonder if he was texting ???

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Poin and lono, the both of you just made me laugh with your replies.

Nicely done.

Draft saved Draft deleted