1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Champ Summers: Gone at 66

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Champ Summers, 66, died Thursday after a long battle with kidney cancer. He had lived at Spruce Creek Preserve [in Florida] since 1999, when he and his wife moved from La Jolla, Calif.

Summers was a Vietnam veteran who played 10 MLB seasons for six different teams. His longest stay with one team was a three-year run with the Detroit Tigers starting in 1979, when he was traded from the Cincinnati Reds mid-season. Summers had arguably his finest season with the Tigers that partial year, when legendary manager Sparky Anderson sought him out to be his designated hitter. Summers batted .313 with 20 home runs, 51 RBIs and seven stolen bases in just 246 at-bats over the remainder of that season.

http://www.ocala.com/article/20121011/ARTICLES/121019947/1005/sports01?Title=Champ-Summers-10-year-major-leaguer-who-retired-to-Ocala-dies-at-66

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

RIP to a former Cub.

[​IMG]

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Weird that a guy who played for the Cubs was named "Champ."

RIP.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It hurts because its true.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Was at the center of the great Padres-Braves brawl in 1984. It seemed for a moment like Summers was literally going to kill Pascual Perez.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=5955859

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Got my only MLB foul ball off the bat of Champ Summers during his 1980 season. Sad to see he suffered from cancer.

[​IMG]

RIP.

7. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Fuck Cancer.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

RIP. He was a cool dude.

9. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

I went to summer camp with a kid named champ one summer. I remember being pissed that he had never heard of champ summers.

RIP

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Best known to me as the guy from the 1979 or 1980 Topps set whose card I got 10,000 times from opening packs. I can't remember the cards I never got a sniff of, in my attempt to complete my set, but I could always count on a Champ Summers card buried in the middle of the pack. I probably still have enough of them to heat my home this winter, in a box somewhere.

11. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Damn. Cancer claims another. That is so wrong.

Well, that completes the rule of three on the Detroit sports scene - Champ, Alex Karras and Budd Lynch.

RIP, Champ.

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

Agreed, Matt.

RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted