1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Casey Coleman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D.Sanchez, Nov 27, 2006.

1. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

2. Grohl

Grohl Guest

Sad. I used to watch Nev Chandler when I was growing up, but Coleman was good, too. So was Jim Donovan on Channel 3. (Is he still around?) In retrospect, Cleveland had some very good local sportscasters back then. I was actually back there last week for Thanksgiving and thought the local news in general -- not just sports -- was awful. Or maybe I'm just older or wiser or more cynical.

3. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Donovan is the play-by-play guy for radion and the Channel 3 sports director.

Coleman will certainly be missed, he was/is loved in Cleveland.

4. busuncle

busuncle Member

Casey weathered a lot of criticism in the wake of the Browns' departure, when he was seen as being too close to Bellichick and Modell, but I think most people eventually came to realize that he took a lot of unfair flak.

He was a Clevelander through and through, and will definitely be missed.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I had no idea Coleman was even sick.

Two Browns broadcasters felled by sickness in the last decade or so. Sad.

Nev Chandler was the shit when I lived in northeast Ohio, excellent pbp man.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

:'(

This sucks.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Son of Ken Coleman, in his own right a great announcer. RIP.

8. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Wow. I'll miss ya Casey, RIP.

Best memory about him. He was giving the radio team of Jim Donovon and Doug Dieken a report from the sidelines during a broadcast. I believe it was either 1999 or maybe 2000 or 2001, but all he said (and you could tell he was disgusted)... "Uh, yeah, the Browns look like they're riding bicycles in the Indianapolis 500. Back to you guys."

Also, I remember reading last year he was healthy enough to return to Browns stadium and attend a game. When he was getting ready to leave, he called for his car. Well, when a pimped out auto came rolling out, the guy brought Cosey Coleman's (Browns' guard) car. But everyone's spirits were up because it seemed like he was getting better.

Anyway, we loved ya Casey.

Draft saved Draft deleted