1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Carl Reiner

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

#TeamBrooklyn.

My dad was HS classmates with Barbra Streisand and my mom was HS classmates with Marv Albert. You look at the list of alums from those NYC high schools from that era and it’s staggering.

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

In a time of rampant anti-Semitism, before the war, when private education was restricted to exclude Jewish people or maybe limit it to a couple, when professional businesses like law firms, engineering firms, hospitals restricted or barred Jewish people, these Bronx and Brooklyn residents achieved beyond anyone’s wildest dreams. Their children were the backbone of the middle class boomers and gen x. All built on NYC public education.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

And free public college.

4. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

I enjoyed posting the BLM pic of Mr. Reiner on james woods twitter page. Btw it started with a post from woods saying he knew from friends who were close with Reiner that he and Mel Brooks use to eat together every night. That woods, he is some kind of insider.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Many were descendants of Jewish immigrants. In 1924 we passed a racist immigration law to keep the undesirables like the Eastern European Jews out. It was replaced by the Hart-Cellar Act of 1965. I watched a You Tube last night of LBJ giving a speech at the Statue of Liberty as part of the signing ceremony of that bill. It mad me very proud of my country. I will save my thoughts about about what has transpired since for the politics thread.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    OscarMadison likes this.
  6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

My father told me that CCNY was called Circumcised Citizens New York. NYU was called No Yids University.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted