1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Captain Tony

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Nov 3, 2008.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Actually, in any afterlife, Captain Tony will be doing anything but resting peacefully.

This belongs on the journalism board because a number of people in our business -- particularly anybody who knew Shelby Strother -- probably met Captain Tony in the Key West bar he either owned or simply frequented after he sold. Lived to 92; four wives, and fathered his last child at age 70.

The Herald obit does him justice, I think:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/southflorida/story/753541.html

This thread might not stay high here long, but it deserved to be here.

2. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Well, I knew Shelby Strother but I never met Captain Tony. Sure liked Shelby. Didn't know he had anything to do with Captain Tony's bar, which I also liked a lot. It was one of the bars in the world where you never didn't have a good time. And there's definitely something to be said for that.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I've been down to Captain Tony's and got out of the heat.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Dropped in there three years ago, had the pleasure of having one beer with the Good Captain. He'd come in most days around 5 p.m. and leave before the bands cranked up at 9 because he said it hurt his ears.

May he be enjoying the last mango in heaven.

5. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Long live the captain.

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Buffett played "Last Mango in Paris" in dedication to Tony during his show in Tampa on Sunday. You could tell the Captain was someone who meant something special to him.

7. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Gotta D_B you, old friend. But that's OK--Capt. Tony (who I did meet one fine evening) deserves another thread.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/63161/

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, if anybody here was going to have posted a thread on this, I figured it'd be you. And two threads is fine.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Sounds like my kind of guy.
    Seems to have had a lot of Willie Nelson-esque traits and Key West is some place I've always wanted to go.
    Got to get down there. Buffett's my homeboy.
    Life's a gamble.
    RIP Old Tony

Draft saved Draft deleted