1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: Buck O'Neil

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sxysprtswrtr, Oct 6, 2006.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Poz' column was the best piece I've ever read.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Exactly. He's a baseball pioneer, no doubt about it.

3. Simon

Simon Active Member

Like I said a week ago when he went into the hospital. Thank God he passed away peacefully, not losing his memory, mind or body. He walked his final months, he did what he loved. He did what changed peoples lives. Let's enjoy what we had and in April we can read his entire story, written by one of the best storytellers in the country. Unfortunately, April is too far away at this point.

Buck isn't going to rest in peace, he's going be telling stories to everyone until they make him be quiet.

4. Hey Simon.
    Welcome back, lad.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Uhh, that didn't suck at all.

Outstanding column about an outstanding individual who was the epitome' of class and dignity. A few months ago, there was a story on TV about how Buck was denied entry into the HOF. My wife, who cares very little about baseball, saw the story and -- remembering me talking about him from Ken Burns' documentary -- said "That's bullshit."

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Yeah, I pretty much agree...

And when the only writers voting anymore are from the Podunk Times... and when the Pete Rose thing gets resolved-- probably by letting him in, thereby putting an end to 'debate fodder'-- I think the HOF's significance will dwindle in even the most passionate baseball fans' eyes.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

It's already dwindled enough, especially with guys like Gary Carter and Bill Mazeroski in.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

True. And if you've ever read the book "The Big Show" by Olbermann and Patrick, Olbermann discusses several old-timey cases of guys being let in who truly didn't deserve it... I mean like: Situations where somebody knew somebody or was married to somebody's daughter. ;D

There's one case in particular that is simply jaw-dropping... I wish I could remember-- maybe somebody else does... But it really puts the Hall into perspective.

9. swenk

swenk Member

10. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I recall watching O'Neil in Ken Burns' documentary. It was like poetry. I could close my eyes and be at the ballpark. He was an inspiration.

It was a sign of the times that he didn't make into the Hall of Fame. That organization is a joke. Today, it's all about making money hand over fist. Cooperstown hotels and campgrounds hike their rates when they know people will be visiting. The Hall gets guys like Ozzie Smith to show up and then charges people $500 a pop to shake is hand.

First baseball snubbed its nose at Pete Rose for what he did off the field. Then it failed to create a category for Buck O'Neil, who might have done more off the field than any other player in recent years.

Steroids. Selling $6 hot dogs to 5-year-old boys. Charging for autographs. Replacing men with monsters equipped with red contact lenses and elbow pads.

Baseball has become the exact opposite of everything for which Buck O'Neil stood. He was baseball at its purest. While we mourn his loss, we might as well also shed a tear for an institution that has lost its pulse.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I third that. They had such a wonderful opportunity--aged guy who actually could have attended and ENJOYED the adulation. Instead, they inducted a bunch of dead guys--all deserving, so I am not complaining about the players and execs who got in--who did not get to live to experience the honor. I don't give a shit what his stats are. He was a good enough player. Ask 100 baseball fans to name a negro league player, and my bet is that not one would come up with Andy Cooper or Biz Mackey. Doesn't mean they didn't deserve to be honored. The point was that they were great players who played in obscurity. But those same fans who don't know the guys who were selected, nearly all knew who Buck O'Neil was. He single-handedly did more to keep the memory of the negro league alive than anyone else, and he was a decent player to boot. It's a shame that while they had what turned out to be a one-year window of opportunity to honor the man and allow him to experience the joy and adulation he was denied all those years by bigotry, they totally fucked it up. I do hope there is such a thing as karma.

12. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

I first saw Buck O'Neil in Ken Burns' "Baseball" documentary about a decade ago. Every time I heard him interviewed or give a speech on TV, such as at Cooperstown, I enjoyed listening to him.

I watched Keith Olberman on MSNBC last night (although normally he drives me nuts), but last night, he had a lengthy glowing retrospective on Buck and it was done with taste and tact (Something Olberman probably had to look up in the dictionary), and was enjoyable to learn about Buck.

RIP, Buck.

Draft saved Draft deleted