1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: Bruno Kirby

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by patchs, Aug 15, 2006.

1. patchs

patchs Active Member

Gone to that big roundup in the sky.

JEREMIAH MARQUEZ
    Associated Press Writer

LOS ANGELES - Bruno Kirby, a veteran character actor who costarred in "When Harry Met Sally," "City Slickers" and many other films, has died at age 57, his wife said Tuesday.

Kirby died Monday in Los Angeles from complications related to leukemia, according to a statement from his wife, Lynn Sellers. He had recently been diagnosed with the disease.

"We are incredibly grateful for the outpouring of support we have received from Bruno's fans and colleagues who have admired and respected his work over the past 30 years," his wife said. "Bruno's spirit will continue to live on not only in his rich body of film and television work but also through the lives of individuals he has touched throughout his life."

Kirby was perhaps best known for his roles opposite
    Billy Crystal in 1989's "When Harry Met Sally" and 1991's "City Slickers."

Other film credits included "Good Morning, Vietnam," "The Godfather: Part II" and "Donnie Brasco." More recently, he played Phil Rubenstein on the HBO series "Entourage."

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Wow. Young guy. Not a great story, but I used to live in Greenwich Village over a pretty good Spanish restaurant. One time we were hanging outside during the summer, drinking some beer on the stoop, and Kirby and a woman came out of the restaurant. When we recognized him, he hung out and talked for a while. He was a really nice guy. I hope he rests in peace.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

The Godfather II
    Spinal Tap -- "When you've loved and lost the way Frank has ..."
    When Harry Met Sally
    Good Morning, Vietnam
    City Slickers

A diverse career.

4. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

RIP. A very funny man.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

He was one of my fav character actors. Really, really, really good in The Basketball Diaries as a child molesting coach.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

What a sad story. He was such a great character actor. He will truly be missed. RIP.

7. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

One of my favorite episodes of Homicide, "The Gas Man", features him as an ex-con looking to exact revenge of Det. Pembleton for having sent him to prison for a negligent homicide. His portrayal of a loser who wants desperately to be tough but in the end just isn't was tremendous. R.I.P.

8. The_Equalizer

The_Equalizer Member

I just watched that episode (again) on Sleuth ... maybe a month ago. A classic.

Somebody here once mentioned on an acting thread that Tom Cruise is the type of guy, no matter the role, you always know it's Tom Cruise just acting. Kirby, and great character actors like him, can totally immerse themselves in a character to the extent that you can forget you're watching an actor. That's why I'd pay money to watch a Bruno Kirby or Steve Buscemi over Tom Cruise any day.

RIP.

9. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

That news just sucks. RIP. A very talented actor. He was in The Freshman with Matthew Broderick and Brando, right?

10. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

He had a great supporting role in Modern Romance, a snarky comedy about breakups directed by Albert Brooks in 1981.

Kirby played Brooks' film-editor co-worker, serving as a great straight man.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

He was brilliant as the Sinatra-loving limo driver in Spinal Tap. "Fuckin' limeys."

I laughed like hell when, in Good Morning Vietnam, he went into a rant to Robin Williams about what songs could be played on the radio that ended with "...and certain ballads by Frank Sinatra!" I always wondered if that line was a play on his role in Spinal Tap.

RIP.

12. He was also very good in The Freshman with Brando and Matthew Broderick.

I was checking IMDB and I had to chuckle at this credit:

Draft saved Draft deleted