1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Bruce Keidan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I first met him when he was covering the Phillies. He later moved on to Pittsburgh and had a long run there as SE and columnist. I believe he also did broadcasting in Pittsburgh.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10335/1107343-455.stm

He could write, and you didn't want to be on his bad side. He and Conlin are probably two of the biggest reasons Philly has a reputation as a tough newspaper town.

2. Dr. Howard

Dr. Howard Member

I thought Bruce Keidan was absolutely brilliant. Very sorry to hear this news. Way too much of it lately.

3. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

As a student reporter I sat next to Bruce Keidan in the Pitt press box many times, but didn't have the nerve to speak to him those first few times. One day I was chewing on my pen a little too intently and he looked directly at me and said, "Kiddo, you need a light for that?"

I nearly collapsed in laughter. "How'd you guess?" And so we got to talking, and always chatted when we saw each other at events in Pittsburgh. Plus, I made it a point to listen to his afternoon radio show during my bus ride or during a workout. He was insightful, controversial, colorful and a damn good journalist.

RIP, Bruce.

4. cfinder

cfinder Member

We've lost two brilliant men, brilliant writers, brilliant lights: Bruce Keidan and Jim Kelley.
    They way Bruce knew baseball and Jim knew hockey, the way they treated their friends and admired colleagues, the way they reported -- they were standard bearers for anyone who truly aspires to fulfill the title sports journalist.

On a personal note: Jim greeted a bug-eyed, 25-year-old, rookie pucks writer with the same kindness and assistance as whenever he ran into him again and again, even as a gray-haired schlub still tripping over sticks in an NHL locker room.
    And Bruce, who was as gifted a line editor as he was a writer/reporter, hired me 25 years ago in Pittsburgh. I pray The Maker forgives him for that one mistake.

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I never worked for Bruce. Perhaps that's why he was such a sweetie to me. He couldn't have been nicer during the time we spent on road trips covering the same event.
    Wish I'd had the chance to bump into him one last time.

6. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

Grew up reading and listening to Bruce. His style and talent was superb. He won't be forgotten.

7. Colin Dunlap

Colin Dunlap Member

Gene Collier wrote Bruce Keidan's obit for today's editions. Brilliant, as expected:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10336/1107641-122.stm

Draft saved Draft deleted