1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Braves

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, May 6, 2006.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Doubtful. The teams that were 7 or 9 games out on May 6 are the teams that could have been 8 games out on May 7. Only 1 of the teams that were 9 games out of first came back to win the division, so being 8 games out a day later did not improve their chances.

2. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The way the Braves have been coming up to bat, it could happen in the 8th.

1stLD-Writethru: Then Renteria flails helplessly at the plate. Bring on the 9th.

4. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

God forbid. Speculation about acquiring Barry Zito or Dontrelle Willis will begin in tomorrow's NY papers.

5. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Lima time will only last for another start until they think Pelfrey is ready. I expect they will give him a shot before going through the trade route. Zito would cost them their 2007 left fielder (Milledge) or Pelfrey, Diaz and maybe someone else. The latter isn't a terrible price to pay, but I wouldn't give up Milledge or move Heilman into the rotation.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

That's probably more far-fetched than the Braves winning the division. They're seven games out in the wild card race (I know this is ridiculous because, as has already been noted, it's the first week of May) and they are behind nine teams in that particular race.

7. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

you know what's interesting, though?
    The Braves are 4-5 against the Mets this year. Not great, but certainly not horrible. probably should be better if the pitching doesn't implode twice in this series.
    they're 5-4 against the NL West, having already faced the Dodgers, Giants, Rockies and Padres in a series each
    otherwise
    1-4 against the Phillies
    1-1 against the Nats and
    0-3 against the Brewers

not exactly the cream of the NL crop. don't get me wrong, they should do well against the Marlins and Nats over the next 10. then they've got the d-backs, padres and cubs after that. the braves could turn things around in a big way in the next three weeks. this is probably the most promising portion of the schedule all year...which is why, if they don't show some life between now and the end of the month, I'd say it would be safe to write them off then.

EDIT: I had it wrong earlier. The Braves are 7-5 against the NL West.

8. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

It's probably worth noting, if it hasn't been already, that 14 of the Braves' 18 losses are by one or two runs.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yep.

It's waaaay too early to start worrying about the Braves not repeating. I won't break a sweat until I see Biff Pocoroba taking BP.

10. TheSportsPredictor

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Wow, cliche quote as evidence. That sure clinches it. ::)

12. TheSportsPredictor

Evidence of nothing except that the Braves own ace pitcher is just about ready to start his own RIP thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted