1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Brant Parker ("The Wizard of Id")

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double J, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

He died on Sunday, eight days after Johnny Hart, with whom he had co-created "Wizard" in 1964. The cause is said to be "complications related to Alzheimer's disease and a stroke suffered last year."

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-parker17apr17,0,3001033.story?coll=la-news-obituaries

"It's two different kinds of thinking, always," Parker told The Times in 1986. "The trick is to find two people who are basically alike…. We both enjoy the same kind of humor so it's been a great relationship."

It endured until 1997, when Parker turned the "Wizard" drawing over to his son, Jeff, who had served a decade-long apprenticeship. "The Wizard of Id," which ran in The Times from 1968 to 1998, will continue as a collaboration between the Parker and Hart families, according to Creators Syndicate.

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I guess this is the definition of a "timely" death, if there is such a thing...

LOVED the Wizard of Id; probably one of my favorite comic strips growing up and one in which I made my dad buy me a bunch of the books. Still have a couple.

R.I.P. BP.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Same here, Bird. Loved BC and the Wizard of Id, though nothing beats Calvin and Hobbes.

RIP.

4. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Wow, I always associated those two strips with each other. Sad.

All the good cartoonists seem to be dying off. Jeff MacNelly (Shoe) a few years ago, but at least that's been kept alive. Any word on what BC & Id will do?

At least there's still "Get Fuzzy".

Draft saved Draft deleted