1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Brad Delp, Boston lead singer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Idaho, Mar 9, 2007.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

BTW, sorry that St. Louis U. had to take out UMass.

2. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

I always thought Boston was pretty much a one-man show with Tom Scholz...but, I guess not.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Boston was a huge, huge part of my Camaro-rock years. I drove 1,100 miles round trip to see them in concert in 1987. Even today, hearing one of their songs makes me feel better. RIP.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I bet there are plenty of us on here of a certain vintage who wrecked their throats trying to hit the high notes in "More Than A Feeling".

5. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

"More than a Feeling" is the first song I play on any road trip... RIP.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'll say what a lot of you are thinking. Every damn songs sounds the same.

7. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Well thanks for reminding me, JERKASS!!

:)

We'll live. I'd be cool with an NIT run, considering where the program was a few years ago.

Also, the check for my snazzy new Dr. J throwback jersey cleared mere hours before the game happened, so I'm trying to make it seem like not such a big deal that I completely jinxed them.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Along with REO Speedwagon, Foreigner, Journey and a few more ... they were the poster band for the 70s-early 80s ArenaRock Age.
    Condolences to the man's extended family.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

"More Than A Feeling" was my introduction to classic rock (I don't count Led Zep because EVERYONE was into Led Zep in the late '80s). Fall of '91 I was driving around and heard the song and it was like.......DAYYYYYYYYMN where have you been my entire life? That final lead-up to the chorus is perfect. Got the CD for Christmas and spent the next six months listening to it non-stop.

I am to the point where I think it's overplayed, but I'll never change it when it comes on the radio.

Sure they do. But hey when you do one thing so well, why not go to the well over and over again?

Boston: The Phil Niekro of rock.

10. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

One Boston memory.

My two buddies and I hit the exactor large on Steve Cauthen Day at Woodbine Racetrack (betting against little Stevie Wonder in the final race of the day). With our considerable winnings we were trying to decide on a fitting celebration. My two buds decided to spring for Boston tickets at the Gardens. I said we should go to the Kentucky Derby. They went their way. I went mine--and I ended up betting against Seattle Slew.

YHS, etc

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Which is ridiculous. Tom Scholz recorded that first album in his basement -- which a lot of people do now, but at the time it was astounding to get an album to sound like anything other than sludge when you're using a home-built studio. Plus, Boston released its second album only two years later (a lifetime between releases at the time) only because the record company forced them to, and Scholz was in court for years fighting his record company over issues related to creative control and album release schedule. Scholz was as anti-corporate rock as any punk, but it just so happened he created slick-sounding material and sold a shitload of records, so he never got his due on that front.

And Delp's voice was as key to the Boston sounds as anything Scholz did. A lot of 70s singers tried to wail as if they had a vise tightening on their balls, but Delp did it effortlessly. (Actually, Scholz's first choice as singer? Prancing Billy Squier!)

Also, apropos of nothing, I remember hearing that Boston's original drummer and Dick Jauron were high school classmates.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The drummer, Sib Hashian, had one of the great heads of hair in rock history. And it would be hellaciously tough to prance to Boston music.

Draft saved Draft deleted