1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bobby Thomson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Aug 17, 2010.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Thomson's is still more famous. Maz's, while momentous, did nothing but break a tie. If he doesn't hit that homer and the Pirates don't score that inning, the game goes on.

If Thomson makes an out, the Dodgers win the pennant and we're not even talking about Thomson 59 years later and no one even remembers the 1951 season in which the Giants came back from some 13 1/2 games back.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Did the Giants win the pennant, did the Giants win the pennant?

The Echoing Green, I think the book is called. Fairly recent. A good look at Thomson and Branca.

3. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

That is a good point. The Fisk homerum (while dramatic) gets added weight because of the video of him jumping down the first base line.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

That one was, for sure, but that's an old story.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Went remainder, quickly. Joyously picked up a number of $1 (not a misprint) CD audios,
    for gifts.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Went remainder? That's disappointing. It's an outstanding book, one of the best sports books I've ever read.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

And QUICKLY.

Liked it a lot. Figure a lot of people who saw the stuff in the WSJ didn't feel the need to double-down.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And win a World Series. Nothing small about that.

Love the call on Thomson's home run, love the significance of the moment, but this was bottom of the ninth, Game 7 of the World Series. Who doesn't dream of hitting a game-winning home run in that situation?

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

If that wall is only 10 feet high, then judging by that photo Any Pafko is only 2-foot-7. The wall is easily 15-20 feet high. Thomson's HR would be a home run in almost every MLB park, except Boston.

I've seen that video hundreds of times and am still amazed by the amount of trash on the field during play. And it's quaint that Durocher picks up Thomson's glove while he's celebrating, since it was the era when players left their gloves on the field between innings.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

At a Baseball Assistance Team (BAT) Dinner one year, I got both Branca & Thomson to sign a baseball.

When I told my buddy about it, the first thing he asked was who I had sign it first.

Branca of course. I don't think I'd have the guts to ask Branca to sign a ball that already had Thomson's signature.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sorry, micro, but nobody was leaving their gloves on the field in 1951. I don't know what Durocher picked up but I'm pretty sure it was not Thomson's glove.

And I believe the left field wall was about 18 feet high.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Eddie Stanky jumped up on Durocher's back, so it might have been Durocher's own hat that he picked up.

Draft saved Draft deleted