1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bobby Murcer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jul 12, 2008.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Bobby Murcer has died. Story's not on the wire yet, but it is on the NY Daily News website.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/07/12/2008-07-12_until_the_very_end_bobby_murcer_showed_h.html

Only remember him from the end of his career in the late 70s/early 80s with the Yankees and as a broadcaster. He will be missed.

Edit: Also on the YESNetwork website:
    http://web.yesnetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080712&content_id=1448715&oid=36019&vkey=4

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

FOX just did something on him during the D-backs-Phillies game

3. pallister

pallister Guest

I remember watching him play for the Cubs when I was a little kid. RIP.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

the caption on the Murcer photo on the YES Network website:

5. JackS

JackS Member

Man, I just read some really inspiring stories on both Bobby Murcer and Tony Snow recently too, on how upbeat both were after their treatments.

That attitude obviously only allows you to enjoy the time you have left, not extend it.

6. Rest in peace, Mr. Murcer. A great Yankee, indeed.

7. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Sadly, this is one of those passings we knew was coming but still feels like a punch in the gut. Murcer was a mainstay on some awful late-1970s Cubs teams (Hi, pallister) that were a joy to watch because it was my first, glorious exposure to Major League Baseball.

But his shining moment was a gutty August 1979 tilt against the Orioles on ABC's Monday Night Baseball, when, hours after eulogizing Thurman Munson, drove in all five Yankees runs in a comeback victory. I've seen the ESPN Classic replay several times, and it never fails to send chills up the spine.

RIP.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

There's great value in that, too.

A sad day in baseball. RIP.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Somewhere I have a book of autographs from the players on those late '70s Cubs teams. I'm almost positive Murcer is among them.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Bobby Murcer had a world of talent. He was one of those guys who you could spot in the middle of the airport and say "baseball player."

He'll be missed.

11. patchs

patchs Active Member

A true Yankee and I can imagine him reuniting with Mickey and Thurm.
    I enjoyed him as a broadcaster and am glad he is no longer suffering.
    RIP Bobby.

12. patchs

patchs Active Member

Michael Kay is choking up on YES, over the phone.
    Wow.

Draft saved Draft deleted