1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bobby Fischer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spup1122, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Jeremy Schaap reporting live here in Podunk, at the funeral of one of my biggest story subjects ever. I thought about what the day would mean to me and well, it almost seems like the death of my career. Ten years ago...

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I'm going to be a defence witness in this one. Schaap is a terrific reporter, and a real decent guy. If I have to chose between him and Fischer, well, it's not much of a choice.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I agree with you. Schaap does have a knack of telling very interesting stories.

True story: When I was in college, two basketball players were kicked off the team immediately following a game I was covering. They laughed at a teammate who was dunked on. I mean, he was given a Jenna Jameson-type facial on an alley-oop. Well, I went to talk to the coach about the "suspensions" the next day and I brought up the subject. I said I saw what happened on the bench and I saw the look he gave the players and then, poof, they were gone. He said he didn't know what I was talking about. I went back and forth with him trying to get him to say something and finally, he came very close to giving me a great quote, but stopped himself. The coach told me, "You know, you remind me a lot of Dick Schaap's son. What's his name? Oh yeah, Jeremy. You ask a lot of hard questions and are not afraid of much. You'll do well for yourself as a journalist."

One of the best compliments I got to this day.

4. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I haven't reread it yet, but plan on doing it sometime this weekend. Rereading it was one of my first thoughts after seeing the news alert in my e-mail.

Over/under of times ESPN reshows that Schaap piece this weekend? Every Sportscenter and on ESPNews every hour?

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

More like Searching for Bobby Fischer's Next of Kin

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

Found him!

7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I wonder how this will be played in papers around the country. Bobby Fischer, for many, was a cult figure.

rb

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Now there's a man who really did hate himself.

9. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Well, there goes my hope of Jeremy doing an interview with both Bobby Knight and Bobby Fischer in the same room.

If you think Anderson Cooper has a lot of cojones...

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The second sports book I ever read, after the Babe Ruth Story, was about the Fischer-Spassky match. And I didn't even play chess.

11. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Member

12. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Talk about a good tombstone farewell remark.

Draft saved Draft deleted