1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Bobby Dower

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Dangerously, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Bobby, the former sports editor of the American Press in Lake Charles, La., was diagnosed less than a week ago with stomach cancer. He had a turn for the worse overnight, and things appear bleak today.

He's as good a human being as you'll ever meet, in this business or any other. Those of you who know him already know that. He could use your prayers, thoughts, positive energy and encouragement, even if you're not able to communicate those directly to him.

I won't have access to the site much longer today, but I encourage any of you who know Bobby to contact anyone you know at the paper or elsewhere who can give you more details and suggestions on how to leave a message of support for him. I will try to post appropriate updates when I can.

He's a good man who doesn't deserve any of this. Thinking of you, Bobby.

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

Re: Bobby Dower

My best to your friend, JD...

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Holy crap. Just interviewed for a job with Bobby less than a year ago. Didn't get the job, but I immediately liked the guy.

He didn't seem ill at the time. In fact, he was very vibrant and full of energy and seemed like a guy I would have loved to work for.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Aw, crap. JD, my prayers to his family. Cancer sucks. No two ways to say it.

5. Johnny Dangerously

The cancer is very advanced and aggressive, according to the last report I received. He's not in pain, thanks to the medication, but what we've all been hoping for does not seem possible now.

6. Johnny Dangerously

The Louisiana Sports Writers Association has rallied around Bobby, with many of the old guard visiting his hospital room and turning it into an LSWA convention of sorts. Last night, the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame presented him the 2015 Distinguished Service Award in Sports Journalism, apparently bending or breaking just about all of its bylaws to do so. Seeing the look on his face in the photo of him receiving the award in his hospital bed is just priceless.

The email says there were 27 people in his room when he was presented the award, setting a hospital record. I'm so proud of the LSWA and the Hall of Fame folks (there's some overlap there) for showing such love and support for Bobby at this time, and for recognizing the lifetime of work and passion he gave to the profession. If any of you read this, know that it hurts me to not be able to be there with Bobby and all of you right now, but it's such a blessing to know him and all of you and feel the goodness in each of you -- years ago in person, and now from afar.

I know it means a lot to Bobby, as do all of you.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's awesome. Not the illness, of course, but the outpouring of support and affection.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

A salute to JD and Louisiana scribes for doing a really great thing, even if it meant screwing the rules.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Bobby died at 4:19 p.m. Central time.

RIP, Bobby.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Aw hell.

Screw you, cancer. And RIP to Bobby and my condolences to his family and friends.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Man, that sucks.

12. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

It's brutal. He seemed fit as a fiddle and his same old self two weeks ago. And he made it a week when they gave him a day. That's as fitting a way I can think of for Bobby to go out.

Draft saved Draft deleted