1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bob Gibson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Oct 2, 2020.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

maumann and OscarMadison like this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Great pitcher and intimidating as hell when the mood was on him. Master of the high hard one.

Rest.

maumann likes this.
  3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Maybe the greatest RHP of the 1960-1980 era; only Juan Marichal could be considered his equal, IMHO. I think batters were very afraid to stand in against him. And a great teammate, from anything I've read on him.

4. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

This one hurts. Interviewed him a few times. And he was nothing but nice to me. Rest easy.

Liut likes this.
  5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Sidebar on his Wikipedia page:

"(Hank Aaron told me) 'Don't dig in against Bob Gibson, he'll knock you down. He'd knock down his own grandmother if she dared to challenge him. Don't stare at him, don't smile at him, don't talk to him. He doesn't like it. If you happen to hit a home run, don't run too slow, don't run too fast. If you happen to want to celebrate, get in the tunnel first. And if he hits you, don't charge the mound, because he's a Gold Glove boxer.' I'm like, 'Damn, what about my 17-game hitting streak?' That was the night it ended."

Dusty Baker[82]

Same source: "Gibson was surly and brusque even with his teammates. When his catcher
    Tim McCarver went to the mound for a conference, Gibson brushed him off, saying "The only thing you know about pitching is that it's hard to hit."

heyabbott, misterbc and maumann like this.
  6. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Game 7 - in their prime, who do you want; Koufax or Gibson?

maumann likes this.
  7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

We went to Games 4 and 5 in Detroit
    My mother asked me if the guy on the mound was always so mean
    1.12 ERA in 1968
    Brock was just last month

maumann likes this.
  8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I'll take Gibson because I suspect his intimidation might have a carry-over impact. Hitters might need an extra day to get over the trauma.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Because my first game was in the mid’70s, I missed seeing him pitch. The greatest Cardinals pitcher with records that will never be broken.

In the list of Cardinals greats, he’s No. 2 by a wide margin. Pujols third. Ozzie fourth.

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

And I think the quote was that McCarver “can’t” hit it. I’ve heard Tim tell the story on many Cards broadcasts.

Brock and Gibson in the same year is somehow appropriate.

Liut and maumann like this.
  11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Koufax only pitched in one Game 7 but he won it and dominated. Gibson pitched in three and won two, but with an ERA barely under 4.00.

maumann likes this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

One of those rare athletes who forced a change in the sport's rules. Who else? George Mikan comes to mind fastest.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted