1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bob Fryer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ryanb, Apr 15, 2011.

1. ryanb

ryanb Member

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/valleynewsdispatch/s_732225.html

I'm not sure what the RIP thread etiquette is here. Fryer wasn't a sports guy, but I know a few posters here knew him and worked with him at one point or another. He died from "complications from lung cancer" Wednesday. He was 64.

Fryer certainly fit the stereotype of the crusty, old-school news man, but man was he ever sharp. I worked with him at the Valley News Dispatch and at the Pittsburgh Tribune Review. He was most recently the managing editor for the Trib.

To paraphrase one of my former co-workers, if Bob told you that you did it right, you KNEW you did it right.

I remember very early in my career writing an enterprise package for sports that was going to run on A1. That meant it had to go through Bob. The problem was, the mainbar was extremely long. It was over 100 inches (broken up into sections) and we knew he was going to lose it when he saw that.

He did. He said there was no way a story should be 100 inches. But he read it. "Damned if I know what you can cut." He helped us tweak a few things and it ran at that length. We won a couple of awards for that package, but I remember Bob's comment more fondly than some plaque I can't find any more.

Another former co-worker posted on Facebook today that unfortunately, what he remembered most right now was seeing Bob outside the building all the time, a reference to him smoking. It saddens me to think of that, too. Damn shame. RIP Bob.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Damn. Hate to hear this. His daughter-in-law is the AP's Jenna Fryer. I interviewed at the Trib-Review and spent a good bit of time talking to Bob. Very much enjoyed the conversation.

RIP to a good man and a good newspaperman

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Didn't know this was Brit's dad. Absolute shame. I never knew him, but like Jenna and Brit quite a lot.

My thoughts to his family.

Draft saved Draft deleted