1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, BMG Music Service

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by deskslave, Mar 9, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Haha no...it was a symbolic land mine. Just the first example of money burning a hole in my pocket.

I was trying to think of how I paid for the tapes when I was a kid. I guess I gave the money to my mom, who wrote out a check. But I know I had cases and cases full of tapes with the BMG logo and no goddamn liner notes. That always pissed me off.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

That was how I did it, back before I could write my own checks and/or incur my own credit card debt.

I am old enough that tapes were at least still an option when I joined.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

T_B, apparently they sent you one of those Player 8-tracks and you didn't return it in time. ;D

4. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Man, did I get stuck with a lot of crap thanks to forgetting to send in that damn card.

Can you say "Friends" Soundtrack?

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

DO NOT BELITTLE "I GO BLIND!!!"

Actually, isn't that the soundtrack with Toad The Wet Sprocket's "Good Intentions" on it? That is a GREAT song.

And I'd like to tell you some of the tapes I ended up with via BMG, except I'm old enough that I was able to sell/trade a bunch of cassettes to a used records store in the late '80s. That's where most of my shit ended up.

6. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

There are a few good songs on there. But before I got myself an mp3 editor, I was stuck with those stupid "Friends" outtakes at the end of every other song. L-A-M-E.

7. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

So I guess this means I don't have to pay the bill to BMG that is sitting on my desk? ::)

8. micke77

micke77 Member

at the same time i was in BMG, I was also in columbia house. and, yes, i'd forget to send those damn cards back, too. damn nuisance they were.

9. tadwriter

tadwriter Member

Sorry, cougargirl. Ya gotta pay. BUT! If you have any points built up (which they announced a couple weeks ago that they were discontinuing-should have been an omen), or if you got any free cd coupons laying around, better use 'em now. I have about 15-16 coupons for freebie cd's. Only thing is, that would cost me nearly $100 in S&H charges. Don't know yet if I'm willing to shell out the bucks for that.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Ha, ha, BMG! You'll never get my freshman-year-of-college money back!

I think I still have Paul McCartney's Tripping The Live Fantastic in plastic in a box somewhere that I never bothered to return, but kept just in case ... just in case ... I have no idea why I kept it.

I think I thought there was some BMG mafia that could break my legs if I didn't send it back.

The fact that I even remotely considered it a possibility that my life could be forever ruined by possessing Tripping The Live Fantastic, other than the shame of actually owning it, is admittedly pathetic.

11. tadwriter

tadwriter Member

Apparently BMG isn't totally gone. I got my notice from them yesterday and it said that "yourmusic" (I think that was it, I don't have it in front of me here at work) would still be available as a purchasing source, just with no coupons or bonus points. Guess that must be one of their subsidiaries.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Just refused my last album from BMG - ah the memories. And trying to redeem my last free CD was a pain - the pickings are slim. Ended up with a Mary Chapin Carpenter CD I wasn't aware of.
    That YourMusic thing won't work for me - while any CD for $6.99 with free shipping is a pretty good deal - they deduct $6.99 from your credit card every month regardless of whether you pick a CD or not. You can buy more than one at the same price as well, but I just don't buy one album a month. It's more like 3 or 4 one month, then nothing for a while, then another 2 or 3. It won't work for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted