1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bill Walsh

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Left_Coast, Jul 30, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Sad, sad story. Helluva coach. As much as I disliked the 49ers during the '80s, the guy was a genius I couldn't help but like. RIP.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I got to spend a little time with Coach Walsh and his wife backstage at a poorly-organized ESPN event a few years ago. He was really nice, told a couple of great stories and was a lot more gracious to the people in charge than I would have been if I were him.

RIP.

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Walsh was part of my "pinch-me-I-can't-believe-I'm-doing-this-moment." Got to cover a Rams-49ers game my senior year at Mizzou... got there waaay too early, and decided to take a stroll around the empty field at the dome, just because I could.

Take the elevator down, make a turn and I'm stopped while the 49ers flood into the locker room. When the coast is clear, I move again, look up, and there's Bill Walsh and the black dude with the goatee. (His name escapes me, but he's on every Sports Century episode).

I look up, with this dumb look on my face, until they both nod and walk on by. I think I nodded. I don't know. Anyway, that's apropos of nothing.

It's tough to imagine any coach in the next 25 years having 1/10th the impact that Walsh had on the game. RIP.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Are you thinking of Harry Edwards?

And I was kind of in disbelief when Pube/Simon said a few months ago that he was close to death's door. Didn't know he was in that bad of shape.

RIP, a true innovator.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And luckily there is no Giants game tonight. Meaning Barry's 755th wouldn't bump this below the fold, which would be a travesty. The man deserves his due.

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Yup, Harry Edwards. I knew it was Harry something.. I kept thinking Carson, but I knew that wasn't right.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

Innovator and genius, the likes of which the NFL will never see again.
    People will imitate and copy him, but never equal.
    RIP.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Damn, damn, damn, damn. :'(

I never saw this coming at all. I was away from the PC working on other projects and got back on here to see what's going on.

Three in row is a hard thing to swallow right now (Snyder and Bergman included).

I echo everyone else when speaking of Walsh: there will be no one like him again.

Rest In Peace Coach Walsh.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

During his coaching tenure, I didn't have as much of a chance to appreciate what he brought to the game as I have in the years since he left the 49er sidelines. The fact that he was one of the chief practitioners of an offense that still sets the standard for many NFL teams and he has "fathered" so many head coaches only hints at all he brought to the game, and to life.

RIP Coach Walsh. You're sorely missed.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I'll never forget the story about him dressing of as a porter and welcoming his team to Detroit for SB XVI.... the beginning of it all.

Peace, dear great one.

11. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I was greatly saddened when I saw this thread title...rest in peace, Bill. :'(

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Anyone know how many coaches currently in the league were directly influenced by Walsh? (Shannahah, Reid, ect.) I would say there are are least 15-to-20 head coaches or top assistants that are Walsh disciples.

FWIW, Sam Wyche said in an interview with Chris Russo today that when Walsh became a hc, many teams were run-first, pass second. Walsh took ideas that people forgot, or were en vogue in the 60s and made it work for the 49ers. Sad day for the league.

Draft saved Draft deleted