1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bill "Moose" Skowron

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

That's a hell of a career choice then.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'm thinking they took trains when he started.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Not too many players as classy as Bobby Richardson. A true gentlemen.

4. sportbook

sportbook Member

See
    Seems like a really good guy. I am really enjoying the book. He had some nice seasons as the head baseball coach at South Carolina.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I've met him a few times. He is a really nice guy. He seems so at ease. It's a life well lived. he retired in his prime and went on to a highly successful managing career as you mentioned.

A lot of those guys of that era seem so grounded compared to today's players. I think a lot has to do with the money. The Old Timers had to take off season jobs to make ends meet.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

>>>The Old Timers had to take off season jobs to make ends meet.<<<

Some of them did. It was nothing like today where players can almost get lifetime financial security out of an average baseball career, but someone who was making $40,000 in the 1960s was doing very well. A lot of guys from that era took offseason jobs to get a head start on a second career after they were done playing.

7. sportbook

sportbook Member

Bobby Richardson bought his house in Sumter, SC, for $28,000 in 1961. He lives in the same house today.

Draft saved Draft deleted