1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bill Fralic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Dec 14, 2018.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Holy shit, really?

This hits home in a couple ways.

First, he's younger than me.

Second, I covered the Falcons while he was there and he was always a go-to -- funny, sarcastic, irreverent and just a lot of fun to talk to. And of course a really good guard.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Also was one of the NFL players along with Refrigerator Perry who participated in the battle royal at Wrestlemania II. He actually cut a couple of promos beforehand that weren't half bad. RIP

Steak Snabler likes this.
  4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I started to really get into football just as Fralic was peaking as a player with the Falcons and as a big kid who knew he was destined for the line, fralic became one of my favorites.

Also, I forgotten how outspoken he was on steroids later in his career. Good to see that in the story.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sorry to hear. My first job in high school was at a McDonald's in Marietta, Ga., and a lot of Falcons lived in the area and came through the drive-thru -- Fralic, Jessie Tuggle, others.

From the photo gallery in the above story, the AJC football special section front from 1985. Something you'd never see today ...

upload_2018-12-14_14-29-50.png

Slacker likes this.
  6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

He was among the first football linemen that I remember who looked more like a body builder than a football player. Now they pretty much all look like that.

7. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

You beat me to it.

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I had just started getting into pro wrestling when Wrestlemania 2 came around (they had an edited version of it on Showtime). I remember seeing that clip with Fralic and Studd and thinking, "Boy, if Fralic wanted to, he could make a good career at this wrestling thing after his football days are over."

Looking back, I'm guessing he realized how prevalent the steroid culture was in WWF at the time and didn't want any part of it.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There are still a few throwbacks.

[​IMG]

Liut and Steak Snabler like this.
  10. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I remember the promo that Fralic cut and thinking it was hilarious. Was almost Lance Stormish in how straight laced it was and I popped huge when he talked about not being a fat lineman.

John B. Foster likes this.
  11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Damn
    RIP

That’s when Pitt was Pitt.

12. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

“If I could be serious for a minute”

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted