1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Betty Ford

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hank_Scorpio, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

She was 93.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/07/08/betty.ford.dies/

2. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Class person who had the guts to admit she had a problem - then did something about it.

RIP, Mrs. Ford.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

It wasn't guts and just doing something about it.

It's called leading by example and being honest about who she was. She was one of the first to speak out about breast cancer, was in favor of abortion and equal rights for women, didn't have any problems with anyone (or even her kids) living together before marriage, along with battling alcoholism and painkillers.

And she handled all of it, along with being divorced in a time where it was frowned upon, with grace, quietness, and humility in a world where we continue to hide behind our own masks.

God bless you Mrs. Ford. Jerry's waiting for you at the gate.

4. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Very well put.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Let's raise a glass for Betty Ford.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Honorable, courageous. RIP.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It can be argued that she was a helluva lot more important to our society than her husband was. Bringing addiction into the "mainstream" being her biggest contribution. RIP.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

RIP Betty Ford.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Without Betty Ford, there is no Celebrity Rehab.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You're right. She might need to do a little time in purgatory then.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

This.

I actually met Betty Ford several years ago, by accident. She and her husband were sitting in a golf cart I was leaning on, watching the Phil Mickelson-Skip Kendall playoff at the Bob Hope. I was so intent on watching what happening that I paid no attention to the men in suits with earpieces standing by me, who somehow left me alone.

When I realized who it was -- after Mickelson won the playoff and came up to shake their hands as he went to sign his card -- I introduced myself and thanked her for her courage and what she brought to society. She graciously shook my hand, downplayed it somewhat and said it was the only thing she could do, that it was who she is.

RIP to an underrated contributor to society and class, class act.

12. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Rappers everywhere pouring out a little all their liquor.

Draft saved Draft deleted