1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bettie Page (updated 12/11)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Dec 5, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

AP alert: Bettie Page died today at a hospital in L.A.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Crap.

RIP.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

R.I.P. to a woman who was a template of sorts of female empowerment, who crafted an erotic image on her terms, than walked away from it. And to Varla, sorry for the loss of one of your faves.

4. lono

lono Active Member

RIP, Bettie.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

This might sound crass, but I don't mean it to be (and anything I describe from here was far from crass).

As an amateur photographer, I have taken "pinup photos" of several of my friends and ex-girlfriends. Page was my inspiration for many of those photos and the women I have shot couldn't have looked better.

When you think of Playboy models of today or women who do nude photospreads, none compare to the iconic imagry she (and her photographers, such as Don Wilson) created. She was truly someone who could be sexy and erotic without subjecting herself to the "gynecological" shots some magazines prefer today.

She was truly a beauty for the ages. RIP.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

That is not crass at all, pern. That is what Bettie Page was... Sexy, erotic, a beauty for the ages.

Perfectly describing Bettie Page.

RIP

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I agree, sp, but often, when the subject of nude photography comes up, it is seen simply as a chance for a hornball to see a chick naked.

I have favorite subjects for several different mediums when it comes to art (basketball players are among my favorite chalk pastel subjects), but usually when I mention my affinity for photographing nude females, people assume I'm trying to be the next Larry Flynt, when that's far from the type of photographs I enjoy.

But that's neither here nor there. Just wanted to pay tribute to a woman who has transcended her era to become an all-time beauty. Page and Marilyn Monroe are really the two women I think of when it comes to iconic beauties who were before my time (Sophia Loren and Anne Margaret would be next on the list, but they don't nearly match Page and Monroe).

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

For those not familiar with the broad history, The Notorious Bettie Page isn't a bad place to start. It's hardly sensational, but pretty much
    a linear 90-minute reading of her life and the sensation she provoked in a far more innocent time.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Superb arthouse film. Mol does no harm.

10. I didn't know she was molested as a child.
    Though that does help explain soem things.

RIP

She was something else.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One of the hottest women ever.

Gretchen Mol was amazing in that movie too.

RIP

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Betty Grable was a pin-up. Bettie Page's calling card was doing a lot of fetish and girl-girl work, which was considered very controversial in its time.

Draft saved Draft deleted