1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bea Arthur

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rufino, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Just sad. At least it sounds like she didn't suffer much.

She was truly special. RIP.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Didn't realize she was 86.

Only saw in her Golden Girls and Maude. An admirable strong woman.

I hope the Golden Girls will still be funny to me knowing that half are gone.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Some of her stuff from the Roasts were just awesome. She had a mouth like a sailor when she wanted to.

4. Faithless

Faithless Member

I'm gonna miss that husky voice of his.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Great lady, great sport... we'll miss you Maude

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Her expressions were the key in delivering a joke or a jab. Maude has aged horribly, hence it not being in syndication, but it was a very telling show for its time. RIP

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Adrienne Barbeau's tits were two other great reasons for watching "Maude." I'm just saying.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hard to believe - 86? Amazing. Anyone who would show up at a Pam Anderson roast because of a shared commitment to be kind to animals, earned some serious cred with me. Her reading of excerpts from Pam's book might have been the funniest thing on that roast. RIP Bea.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

::)

10. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Rose: Can I ask a dumb question?
    Dorothy: Better than anyone I know.

Blanche: This is strictly off the record but Dirk is nearly five years younger than I am.
    Dorothy: In what, Blanche, dog years?

Rose: I couldn't sleep, so I whipped up a batch of Sverhoeven Crispies. It's a traditional midnight snack from St. Olaf dating back to Viking times.
    Dorothy: Well, I guess after a hard night of pillaging and raping, a Viking would want a little something to go with his cocoa.

Blanche: Rose and I are taking a dirty dancing class.
    Dorothy: Really.
    Blanche: It's become quite popular since that movie came out.
    Rose: What movie is that?
    Dorothy: "Lawrence of Arabia", Rose.

Rose: I don't think lying is really a good idea. I once cut school and that proved very bad.
    Dorothy: Oh, Rose. We've all cut school. It couldn't have been that bad.
    Rose: Oh, yes it was. That was the day they taught EVERYTHING.
    Dorothy: The final piece of the puzzle.

Rose: Oh, don't give up, Dorothy. If the ancient Egyptians could move twenty ton stone blocks to build the pyramids, we can move a toilet.
    Dorothy: Fine, Rose. Get me twenty thousand Hebrews and I'll see what I can do.

Blanche: I can't believe you said that! Oh if I weren't a lady I'd deck you.
    Dorothy: You try and I'll have you on your back so fast you'll think you're out on a date.

Rose: I haven't slept with another man since Charlie died.
    Blanche: Oh, get outta here!
    Dorothy: Shut up, Blanche. Not all of us are classified by the Navy as a friendly port!

Thank you for being a friend, Bea. RIP.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Awesome lines.....just reading them makes me smile. The delivery's what made them really priceless, though. :)

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I can picture Bea Arthur delivering ALL those lines in my head. I grew up with Golden Girls. Man I loved that show.

I wasn't around for Maude, but Golden Girls and Bea Arthur made indelible marks on me.

RIP Bea.

Draft saved Draft deleted