1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Arthur Lee

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dan Hickling, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

The word came yesterday, but deserves our moment of silence...front man for the groundbreaking 60's band, Love...Forever Changes (released 1968) flat out one of the five best LPs of all time....To Arthur..."This is the time...time...time...time...time...time................."

2. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Surprised he made it this far. RIP.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Thought this might be about the former Stanford PG.
    Glad to hear he's still alive and kicking.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Lee did a Forever Changes concert album a few years ago. I bought it just to see if he had anything left to offer. It is a fucking amazing concert album...perhaps better than the studio album.

5. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

wouldn't say better, NoOne, but that's the sentimentalist in me, but I sure like it just as much....one poignant moment in that concert album comes just after "Old Man" which was a composition by the late Bryan MacLean (who sang it on the original "FC"). Arthur says "I sure wish Bryan was here to sing it...."...now Arthur, too....

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

The spirit of Love does live on. Maria McKee, one of my all-time faves and the half-sister of Bryan McLean, was doing "Orange Skies" on her most recent tour.
    Hit your Stranglers collection and dig out their cover of "Alone Again Or" I have a yen to hear it driving home from work on the freeway tomorrow night (at least til I find "Forever Changes" in CD - I have the LP, but my turntable's long since shit the bit).

7. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

You are correct sir, about Maria (of Lone Justice fame)....and Calexico also did a wonderful version of "Alone Again Or..." There is also a webstie set up for Bryan (who died on Christmas Day in 1998), which has some of his Love outtakes for sail (not Four Sail), as well as the Christian oriented things he did later in his life...

8. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Love killed on its version of Bachrach's "My Little Red Book."

Draft saved Draft deleted