1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Art Modell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

This.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Or East Rutherford without The Nets.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Does Fort Wayne still mourn the Pistons? Does Pottsville still dream of the Maroons?

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I wouldn't miss anything called the Maroons as long as I could drown my "sorrows" in fresh-brewed Yuengling. :)

And I feel bad for posting on this thread now that it's changed to RIP. I don't want him to rest, or feel peace. My abject hatred of him is one of the very few truly irrationally dominant things that I have.

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

The Cleveland Browns leaving literally changed family dynamics for four years.

Call it sad, but I didn't have much in common with my dad except sitting in the living rooms on Sundays and rooting on Clay Matthews and Bernie Kosar and Brian Brennan and Ozzie Newsome.

It was a kick to the gut when they left. It introduced me, however gently, to the notion that there are guys who don't care about the social fabric of a city and a state long before any conglomerate or politician did.

I don't hate Art Modell. I never wished him ill. I'm not happy he died. Still, he did a terrible thing that undid everything else he ever did. People will do terrible things to survive.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

How many decades do you think TSP has been relishing writing this thread's title?

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's why I signed up for SportsJournalists.com.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

RIP Mr. Modell.
    The man picked up a dinner tab for me and about 8 other greedy scribes a few moons ago in Cleveland. He didn't have to do that.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It all turned around for Hess when he hired Parcells, and Francesa started to refer to him as "Mr. Hess."

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Why would you let him?

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

He probably owned the fucking restaurant.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Pro sports philosophy question: What does any franchise owe its city?

Draft saved Draft deleted