1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Art Bell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 14, 2018.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

BREAKING: Former Coast to Coast AM Host Art Bell Dead at Age 72

Or put another way

Lleb tra pir

Driving late at night when there was nothing else on the radio - you'd hear this guy broadcasting "off the grid" somewhere in Nevada. He'd have guests on playing long recordings of newsmakers speeches backwards supposedly unlocking all sorts of mysteries and "truths" - like the "Paul is dead" stuff from the Beatles back in the day. Also had a regular guest talking about contrails and of course MK Ultra.

Don't know we'd be the nation we are today without him. Not saying that's a good thing.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Loved listening to Art Bell. At times, couldn't tell if he agreed with the loons he interviewed and had as callers. Those were the best segments.

Art Bell was cool when conspiracy theories weren't mainstream.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I kinda think he made them mainstream and acceptable. Maybe it was an entertainment show, but kind of like those tout show disclaimers where they talk about betting advice being for entertainment purposes only - people figured if it was on the radio, it had to be true.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

He was always courteous to his callers. I'll always respect that in a talk-show host.

5. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

I have listened to him and the new guy (Noory), honestly I thought he had died already. Friday the 13th seems like a good day for him to go. Also, now he knows what's on the other side--or as someone has said to me, maybe he doesn't know anything.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Back in the day you could give the AM dial a spin after midnight and hear Art’s show on almost any channel. That’s how big his show was.

7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I delivered newspapers at night through college, listening to Larry King and Jim Bohannon on the Mutual Radio Network to stay awake.

HanSenSE and Liut like this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

His show was great entertainment when driving home after a night on the desk or from a game. Bell focused more on the occult and supernatural and extraterrestrial. The current host - on the rare times I’ve listened - seemed more InfoWars than X-Files.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I enjoyed Art’s show more when he would talk about hard science topics (astronomy, climatology, etc.) It was when he’d get into the spooky UFO stuff where I’d have to click off.

Art Bell and Bruce Williams ruled nighttime radio in the 1990s, though.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

He once had a guest who said the Pope was a reptilian alien.

11. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Ten posts in and nobody mentioned Mel's Hole? Also, his Halloween episode was a yearly classic. While they were VERY different shows, I also loved Milt Rosenberg on WGN, Extension 720. Smartest show on radio. Milt died in January. Damn.

Buck likes this.
  12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I found Bohannon on the radio two weeks ago and was sadly disappointed to see he had turned into yet another right wing wacko show.

Draft saved Draft deleted