1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Arnold Palmer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

what did they do? didn't see it.....

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

That was class. Low-key tribute delivered by Mike Tirico, and the announcement of Ryan Moore was just factually delivered without fanfare.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Good tribute from Tirico, all about Palmer. Then basically an off-the-cuff that Ryan Moore was picked.

4. MileHigh

Annika Sorenstam just lost it on Golf Channel. You can tell this is brutally difficult for Rich Lerner, who has been close to losing it a few times.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Remember, Palmer was a driving force behind creating the Golf Channel.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Wasn't a one-on-one, but I did get a question in during the large media-room conference with him at his last US Open at Oakmont in 1994. I remember walking away thinking that one of the true legends had answered one of my questions. I think it's inarguable that he was the most important golfer of the 20th Century, and probably ever. Others accomplished more on the course and won more important trophies, but golf is not where it is today without Arnie.

7. MileHigh

He's pretty much considered the founder.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

MileHigh likes this.
  9. old_tony

I don't understand why they would do the Arnie special on ESPN2 and move the WSOP to ESPN News. Why not just do the Arnie stuff on ESPN News? I don't suppose there are many of us, but I regularly record the WSOP shows.

10. MileHigh

It's Arnold frickin' Palmer. Really? You're worried about the WSOP that is already on tape and will be replayed many times over the next several months?

JC likes this.
  11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I was thinking more that I would rather that not be the last thing he saw.

12. old_tony

Is ESPN2 any more prominent than ESPN News? Has anyone ever said "I've got to tune in to ESPN2" when some big sports news breaks? Seriously, ever?

Draft saved Draft deleted