1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Arena Football?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I know there was a previous thread about the league being in trouble, but the Rocky Mountain News is now reporting the league will suspend operations for 2009 ...

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/dec/09/afl-expected-cancel-2009-season/

Arena Football League officials are expected to announce before the end of the week the league will suspend play for the 2009 season, the Rocky Mountain News has learned.

That's a shame if true. The league has been around since 1987, making it one of the rare start-up league success stories ...

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Here's a question... What does this do to the afl2? Our market is supposed to be fielding a new team this year.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

But where will harried parents take their Ritalin-addicted spawn of Satan kids?

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It is a shame. AFL was a beat that prep guys could take on the side as a way to get more big-league experience, and there were certainly plenty of stories on every roster.

5. BettorFan

BettorFan New Member

What is the type of person who goes to Arena football?

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Someone who doesn't have $600 to take the family of four to an NFL game? I can't confess to ever going to a game but I can see why it was popular in some markets.

And quite a few wiseguys in Vegas liked it too.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I used to cover a minor league indoor football team for two seasons. I figure it was good training for when I covered a NCAA Division I-A college football team.

I hope if the league does suspend operations that it can come back after that. It's a shame if it has to suspend operations at all, though.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Chuck E. Cheese? [/crossthread]

10. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

I wonder if the Arena League is being haunted by the fact that it gave away scads of tickets to every game and pretended that it constituted real attendance. A lot of its claims of success were built on fabricated numbers.

11. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Veyr weird situation. ... Everywhere you go there are stories of home teams possibly being among the casualties, the league folding, etc. ... Yet PR folks -- I know, I know, their job -- swearing they've been told nothing, are operating as usual, etc.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Right. And you'd believe them...why?

Draft saved Draft deleted