1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Archie Andrews

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Apr 8, 2014.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Looks like random gun violence to me.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Oh, thanks. I always thought Andy Kim provided vocals, inasmuch as he had several hits as himself.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Surprisingly, no. I'm not sure why Andy didn't sing the songs himself, but they were instead given to a guy whose only notable achievements as a recording artist were fronting fake bands. Maybe that was it, that Andy didn't want to be an anonymous vocalist.

Same guy also hit with "Leader of the Laundromat" by the Detergents, a parody of "Leader of the Pack," and "Tracy" by the Cuff Links, which happened to be in the Top 10 simultaneously with "Sugar, Sugar." He later went on to produce all of Barry Manilow's big hits, for what that's worth.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Andy Kim and Jeff Barry shared writing credits on "Sugar, Sugar."

Kim and "Rock Me Gently" were greatness in the late summer of 1974. He had a modest string of hit singles before that.

5. jr/shotglass

He also hit the top 10 covering the Ronettes' "Baby I Love You" -- written by Barry.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Maybe he ran into this guy again:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

My dad has a reel-to-reel tape consisting of the moon shot, me doing some toddler jibber-jabber, and some AM DJ who played "Lady Madonna" followed by the intro, "ANDY KIM!!"

All I got.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yeah, he had a prolific relationship with Jeff Barry. Neat story about those early hits - when they were produced, the tape was sped up to, in his words, make him sound like a 5'8" blond surfer type. Kids would show up at his concerts to find that he was 6'2" and dark (his ancestry is Lebanese). "I went over best with their mothers who brought them to the shows."

9. jr/shotglass

He was a swarthy man ...

[​IMG]

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yeah, he'd make a better Reggie if they were to do a live-action "Archie" show.

11. jr/shotglass

Him or Gino Vannelli.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He takes a bullet intended for a gay friend:

http://mashable.com/2014/07/14/archie-dies-gay-friend-comic-book/

Draft saved Draft deleted