1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Antonin Scalia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He wrote, "The World According to Star Wars."

He must have seen the movie, so he knows his stuff.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It would be portrayed in some quarters as devisive when in actuality it is nothing but long overdue.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't know shit about supreme court justices. Literally nothing.
    I find it interesting that no board members have said one good thing about the man.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He was 1 of 2 current justices born in Trenton. Alito is the other.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

It's quite the hotbed of talent. :)

Lugnuts and Songbird like this.
  6. cranberry

He was a brilliant man and maybe outside RBG the justice I most enjoyed reading and listening to. While I think originalism is a generally stupid concept that he too often used as a shield against more evolved thought, I will say he was generally a very strong proponent of speech snd privacy.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Saw a line that the longest previous wait to fill a Supreme Court vacancy was 125 days. Is that true? If so, it's going to be fun to watch the explanations of why we have to wait 342 days of Obama's term, then whatever length of time it would take the new president.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I have no illusions that we'll see a swing like Clarence Thomas replacing Thurgood Marshall (approved by a Democratic controlled Senate with 11 Dems approving (mostly from Southern states, two Rs voting nay). Only one of those Senators is still serving - Shelby of Alabama who switched to the Rs shortly thereafter. Jeffords flipped from R to I (caucusing with the Ds) later down the road. The other R voting against - oddly enough was Packwood of Oregon who was bounced for sexual harassment a couple of years later.

9. cranberry

image.jpeg

Confirmed by the Senate by a vote of 97–0 on May 23, 2013.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It isn't true. Two spots were left open for more than two years with five rejected nominations because everyone hated Tyler so much.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's interesting in that he is regarded by many as one of the top legal scholars in the country and his wife is Samantha Power. Also, he worked in the Obama administration. He's kind of the liberal's version of Scalia.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If the IRS can take 24 months to figure out what happened to Lois Lerner's emails, the Senate can take 10 months to confirm a Justice.

Lugnuts and old_tony like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted