1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Andrew Gold

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jun 5, 2011.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Shall we ask Casey Kasem what he thinks? (Someone's got to get this joke.)

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, "I Am The Walrus ('No You're Not,' Said Little Nicola)" mentions, but is not about, a dead dog.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

We'll give it a little longer. If no one gets it, I'll post the link.

4. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I figured everyone knew you were referring to the expletive-filled Kasem rant about having to do a memorial to a dead dog.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Ponderous, man. Fuckin' ponderous.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Finishthehat, we have a WINNER!

I thought some people would get it, but unless you followed Kasem or AT40 it may be foreign. The clip is utterly hilarious. We now return to our discussion of Gold and 70s songwriters.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I had to add Dickey Lee's "Rocky," which, to me, is even cheesier than "Honey."

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I thought both Robbie Dupree songs were outstanding for that genre. Gold's two songs ... not so much.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

One of my best memories of college involves the song "Steal Away," so I'll always have a soft spot for it. Plus, I think it's catchy.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Some of these cheesy songs hid pretty rank messages. I happened upon Robert John's "Sad Eyes" the other day, a sensitive-sounding song about a dick telling his mistress to GTFO because his old lady is back, and, oh, by the way, stop crying in front of me about, bitch, because you knew we were just fucking til my wife came back.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Torn Between Two Lovers had kind of a dodgy message. And the nerve of asking to be held close while slamming her man with the news of her affair.

12. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Hell, "Smoke from a Distant Fire" is a jumpy little tune about his wife cheating on him. Reminds me of "Train in Vain" by The Clash...music completely at odds with the message.

Draft saved Draft deleted