1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: Air Coryell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The best NFL game I ever saw was that 1981/82 AFC semifinal between the Chargers and Dolphins.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If they aren't stretched beyond their limit against the Dolphins OR they get to play at home the next week instead of flying back across the country to play in that icebox in Cincinnati I think they easily advance to the Super Bowl that year.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

As an Alabama guy I cannot let you overlook Woodrow Lowe, who missed one game in 11 years with the Chargers. But your point stands: San Diego was a little soft defensively, especially in the secondary. And when they helped that area by bringing in Gil Byrd and Danny Walters in about 1983, they had already gotten old everywhere else.

As for Coryell, his teams were one of the reasons I first got into the NFL. Did it get any better than Fouts-to-Winslow, circa 1981?

4. Steak Snabler

Also worth noting that Coryell lost only 19 games in 13 years at San Diego State (which wasn't a major program at the time, but still ...). He is also the only man to win 100 games in both college and the NFL.

I think I remember reading somewhere that Coryell's SDSU staff included both John Madden and Joe Gibbs at one time.

5. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Madden, Gibbs, Jim Hanifan, Ron Downhower and a couple of guys who coached college teams. I knew he had a lot of success at San Diego State, but didn't realize he produced so many top caliber players...Fred Dryer and Brian Sipe lead the way, but there was a small crop of others in there.

6. Steak Snabler

That 1981 team also lost its best defensive player midway through the season when Dean quit the team in a contract dispute and forced a trade to the 49ers (who not coincidentally won the Super Bowl).

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I think Haven Moses was on S.D. State, too.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The best Chargers team was probably 1979, when they were 11-5 and had a better defense than they did in the early 80s to match their potent offense. But they choked against Houston in the playoffs and never got a chance to play the Steelers.

9. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Carl Weathers played there, as well, before going on to his acting career.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I echo what others have said, Coryell's Chargers were fun to watch with one of my favorite players of all time, Dan Fouts, under center.

Coryell was 85, so the man lived a full life. RIP.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Astounding factoid there about Coryell's record at SDSU. Never knew it.

Draft saved Draft deleted