1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: Air Coryell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jul 1, 2010.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Reports out of San Diego say Don Coyell has died at 85.

Even as a Broncos fan, it was fun to watch those teams play.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/01/reports-don-coryell-dies-at-85/

2. mb

mb Active Member

Merlin Olsen needed some exciting games to call?

3. MileHigh

I was thinking of Charlie Jones.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Indeed they were fun to watch.
    Charlie Joiner, Wes Chandler, John Jefferson, Dan Fouts, Kellen Winslow, and even Chuck Muncie making defenses be honest ...
    NBC had that contract to do AFC football games. 'Dem was the days.

To the best of my knowledge, those good San Diego teams at least lost on their own terms and didn't have to go through the anguish of getting screwed out of a chance at the Super Bowl game.
    Another good AFC team of that era, the Houston Oilers, got gypped.

RIP Don Coryell

5. MileHigh

Only got to two AFC title games playing in a great era of AFC football . First one was at home that I don't remember, other than it was against the Raiders (lost 34-27 after falling behind 21-7 in the first quarter). The second one is the infamous Freezer Bowl in Cincinnati the next season in which they had zero chance a week after the epic game in Miami.

Also coached at Whittier College, home of the Poets.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Also coached the mid 70s Cardinals teams that knocked Dallas out of the NFC East's perch for a couple of years. RIP.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The Chargers-Bengals title game was on NFL Network two nights ago. RIP to one of the most influential offensive minds in NFL history.

8. Quakes

Quakes Guest

The Chargers were my second-favorite team back then, because of that offense. When playing in the backyard with friends, whoever was the quarterback was Fouts, and the rest of us were Winslow, Joiner or Chandler, or maybe James Brooks or (later) Lionel "Little Train" James or Gary Anderson coming out of the backfield.

And as good as those Chargers were in the early '80s, how great a coaching job must Coryell have done to get the Cardinals -- maybe the least successful NFL franchise ever -- into the playoffs?

9. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

The first pro athlete I ever met was Louie Kelcher. My dad took me to the hardware store to get his autograph, circa 1980 or 81. He and Fred Dean and Big Hands Johnson were the only real defensive players on those offense-laden teams. That's all Coryell needed was a tougher roster of defensive players to perhaps have a Super Bowl dynasty.

10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Amazing what he did with the Big Red considering Bidwell. Seemed like a pleasant man. RIP.

11. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Dobler absolutely praised Coryell in one of his books. He said the Cards biggest mistake was letting Coryell walk. Also, said he could never imagine Coryell ever slowing down.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That window was wide open for them, too. Their best years came right as the Steelers were starting to slip, the Raiders were for the most part mediocre, and the 1980s NFC powers hadn't quite come together yet. How they never even made it to a Super Bowl baffles me.

Draft saved Draft deleted