1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Adam Yauch (MCA of the Beastie Boys)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, May 4, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Re: Adam Yauch (MCA) of Beastie Boys RIP

Saw 'em 2008 - put on a quality show. RIP

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I don't have the "Get Off My Dick" t-shirt from that tour, but I have another one that I put away a few years ago because it was in danger of falling apart with much more wear. I might have to dig that out tonight and wear it in MCA's honor.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wanted to buy that shirt, but I had already been sent home once that year for wearing "Bon Jovi kicks ass 1987!" Slippery When Wet tour shirt. I was 13, what do you want from me? :D

I saw them open for DMC that year. My favorite show of theirs was the last one I saw when they toured with Tribe, which would have been 2000 or so.

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

That must've been an awesome show. Damn. RIP

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It was. Tribe played for about 90 minutes. The Beasties played for about two hours and then they came out together for almost an hour. It was fucking amazing. It's one of my top five concerts easily.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Playing "No Sleep Till Brooklyn" in the office now that it's just me and one other girl. :D

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'm as hardcore a rock fan as there is and certainly no fan or rap or hip hop, but, man, "Fight For Your Right To Party" is one of the all-time great, turn it to 11 party songs. Never get tired of hearing it.

Kick it! RIP to a member of one of the most influential acts of its time.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Cool gesture:

https://twitter.com/#/GlobalNYMets/status/198531978813902848

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

All three times I saw the Beasties, they were the headliners. First show was December of 1986 at the Ritz in New York. The opener was hardcore band Murphy's Law. We were on the floor and DMC was standing next to me. I saw them four months later at the Spectrum in Philly. Public Enemy opened (and scared the crap out of me, although I loved the music). The last time was in the early 90s. We had bad seats and the sound was awful. Other than the Boys, we were the oldest ones there among a crowd of 20-something white kids. Three shows, three completely different audiences.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

This. I remember blasting that song in Sears one day on a stereo that they'd plugged in for display purposes. For whatever reason, someone had left a compilation album on the turntable and that was the last song on the side. I put the needle on the record at low volume, waited for the previous song to fade out, and then cranked the volume as loud as it would go. That was a good day. :D

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That is awesome. Just awesome.

RIP.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Beasties headlined when I saw them. Bad Brains opened, if I recall. Rosemont Horizon.

Draft saved Draft deleted