1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Riley Cooper

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Aug 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Oh, that's what that date meant. Yeah, I think you may have aimed a little high.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

This is really silly --

Why is the NFL involved in this? Why are people talking about a suspension?

Dude was at a concert and said what he said, I'm sure this can and will be resolved when dude has to get on the field with a bunch of African Americans......

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

There's no way this guy should remain with the Eagles.This has created a huge problem for a team trying to rebound from a 4-12 season. Players are saying they can forgive him but can't forget. One player said it best, "If he's on the team, he's on the team. That doesn't mean I have to like him."
    I understand Goodell's hands being tied and I credit Lurie and the Eagles for their swift response.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If they want to cut him, cut him. People made a big deal of it when the Vikings cut Chris Kluwe. Players get cut all the time. If they want to be direct about, or subtle, or whatever.

If he's man enough, he'll live with whatever fallout comes.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yes, Riley Cooper is the only guy in the NFL who isn't liked by his teammates. Everywhere else it's rainbows and unicorns...

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They should trade him to the Redskins.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Don't use the word, don't really respect people who do. It just makes me feel uncomfortable, as a white male. I want nothing to do with it. That being said, I've never really understood the difference between white people saying it and black people saying it. Of course I get the history behind it, but if a word is offensive, it's offensive. Period. It's hard to play both sides of the coin there.

Can a gay guy call another gay guy a faggot? Is that OK? Can an Asian call another Asian a chink, or whatever derogatory term comes with being Asian? I guess people can feel however they want to feel about it, but to me, if you're truly offended by something, you don't say it.

On another note, the NFL won't take an action against Cooper past the team discipline, which appears to be just a sizable fine. Not saying that's right or wrong, but there needs to be consistency. In the realm of slurs, where does this stack up against a gay slur? This seems to be getting a lot more traction than, say, Roy Hibbert, or Kobe Bryant, or Roger McDowell.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Riley Cooper should hire Jay Z as his agent.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

so its ok that the Eagles have a violent,sadistic felon on the team, but a simple ass drunk that makes a derogatory comment should be fired?

he apologized, was punished and his QB forgives him. get over it

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

If only it were that easy.

11. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

This coming from a guy that called Cooper a cracker. And then said "cracker" is not a racist term.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Cooper's apology seemed sincere, so I wonder where the urge to make that statement came from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.