1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Riff on Casty's thread: Is there anyone else who hates Frank Sinatra music?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Big Frank fan, saw him twice near the end of his career, first time was terrific, second time not so much, but, hey, he was still Frank.

Sinatra at the Sands with Count Basie is one of the greatest live albums in any style of music.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Well well well ...

http://www.film.com/movies/frank-sinatra-martin-scorsese

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I feel the same way about Elvis Presley. Not saying he had no talent, but I have no idea how someone who didn't even write his own songs could be regarded the way Presley is...

I am fully aware that most people completely disagree.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I dig Elvis, but I love Sinatra.
    I've never understood why a performer writing his/her own material matters to people.
    Most of the popular performers getting writing credits don't do any real writing anyway, and we might have better music if we went back to a model in which songwriters write and performers perform.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Depp

6. casty33

casty33 Active Member

My one question, Mr. Poindexter, is what do I have to do with this? I may be losing my memory, but I don't recall writing anything about Sinatra, one way or another. I do like some of his songs, but it's not the voice, it's the phrasing that I find interesting. The same is true with Tony Bennett.
    We just come from different eras, I think. My favorite singers are probably people most of you never heard of -- Johnny Maestro and Kenny Vance.
    And on the subect of voices, am I the only person in the world who doesn't get any enjoyment out of Sprngsteen?
    But this is fun to talk about, isn't it?

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I have a nephew who loves Sinatra. He also loves Creed.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Casty --

Someone revived your old "Can someone explain Springsteen?" thread. It's back up on the front page. That's why Poin referred to you in starting this one.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Ring a ding ding.

10. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

didn't like Sinatra. Didn't like Elvis. Does this put me on someone's bad list?

11. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

A complete snore. And a jerk in real life.

No thanks.

Only thing he ever did that I can stomach is The Manchurian Candidate.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

TONS of Xers hate Sinatra. It's a generational thing.

Did he stay too long at the fair? Damn right. But boomers who worked their way through their childhoods with him heard him at his peak, and it was plenty good enough, thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted