1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rickie Fowler

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jan 31, 2010.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Anyone else like this kid. He may not win today but he's gotten a lot of face time. Dresses flashy, the chicks probably love him (my 20 year old daughter may stalk him at a Tour stop near us one day) and he appears to be fearless, playing in the same group with Phil, with a chance to win down the stretch.

Plus, he plays fast. Kid shot to the top of my list for that alone.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And I jinxed him. He doubled No. 17. But a good tournament.

3. Swole8

Swole8 Guest

4. He definitely has a quick motion

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I hear he's friends with Vince Young.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Is it just me, or is Crane really slow?

7. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

Ask Rory Sabbatini if Ben Crane is slow

8. accguy

accguy Member

Don't like Rickie Fowler's hats. Do like his game. A lot.

Total stud. Won't be shocked if he wins this year.

9. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Every year there's a "Stud" college graduate that's supposed to challenge Tiger.

Webb Simpson had the role last year and played well.

Fowler will be even better.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

He's totally legit.

Two of my co-workers covered him in high school here in SoCal. Kid shot 62 -- Sixty Freakin' Two --as a high school sophomore. And on a real course, not his home track.

Despite the fact he now plays with Tom Pernice Jr. out of Bear Creek -- a semi-ritzy country club near his hometown of Murrieta -- Rickie came out of a muni background, not some country club upbringing. He's long and fearless without being reckless and has the mental makeup to rebound from adversity.

Witness the last couple weeks. He misses the cut at both Sony and the Hope, lamented to writers that his swing "got lost on the plane to Hawaii," then contends on a difficult course like Torrey Pines South.

Fowler may not be the next Tiger, but he'll win his share of tournaments.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yes, he's really slow. The scary thing is that he's about twice as fast as he used to be. Rory Sabbatini wasn't the only guy pissed off. Scott Verplank, of all people (since he wouldn't say boo), once said the only thing that kept Crane from getting his ass kicked in the locker room was that he was the nicest guy out there. True enough. Also used to be the absolute slowest. Now, he's a bit faster than a few other guys.
    The current slowest guy out there is Sean O'Hair. Again, a nice guy, but glacial.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Shandin Hills? Kidding.

There is nothing worse than a slow golfer. It sucks the life out of the game.

Draft saved Draft deleted