1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Warren will give the inauguration invocation ....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Dec 17, 2008.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

.... which means the gay community is now up in arms. From the Politico:

"The rapid, angry reaction from a range of gay activists comes as the gay rights movement looks for an opportunity to flex its political muscle. Last summer gay groups complained, but were rebuffed by Obama, when an “ex-gay” singer led Obama’s rallies in South Carolina. And many were shocked last month when voters approved the California ban.

“There is a lot of energy and there’s a lot of anger and I think people are wanting to direct it somewhere,” Solomonese told Politico.

The selection of Warren to preside at the inauguration is not a surprise move, but it is a mirror image of President Bill Clinton’s early struggles with issues of gay rights. Obama has worked, and at times succeeded, to bridge the gap between Democrats and evangelical Christians, who form a solid section of the Republican base."

1. First of all, is there any other kind of reaction to anything by the gay community that isn't "rapid and angry?"

2. If they want to direct their anger somewhere, try to run a campaign on a ballot initiative that is somehow professional. As has been documented, they screwed up the Prop 8 thing in California royally.

3. Rick Warren has more of a social conscience than any notable Protestant minister in recent memory. Unless you're one of those people who don't think there should be an invocation at the inauguration because you're aetheists, Warren is as good a choice as any.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's spelled P-O-L-I-T-I-C-S B-O-A-R-D.

Seriously, I have you on the big button we cannot talk about so I don't have to read your racist, sexist, barely legible dribblings. Yet you continue to come on to the big board and piss all over it.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

You're just mad because your fantasy teams suck.

4. DB anyway. See Politics Board under "lunatic homophobe."
    Here's a "reaction" from the gay community that's not "rapid and angry."
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Didn't know you were the board gestapo. My apologies.
    Barely legible? Dude, if I gave you the link to everything I've written for publication in the last 31 years you'd cry like a baby because you're not in the same stratosphere. Racist? Sexist? Hardly. Nice terms to throw around because I happen to take certain social views. But going against the lockstep of the liberal template always gets you called those names.

Rick Warren is a good man. He does a lot of good things for people. If Barack Obama thinks him worthy to give the invocation, I'm not going to argue. He is my president.

Is he still yours? Awwww ... too bad.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oooooooo you've been a writer for 31 years. Regardless, I'm pretty sure I could outwrite you hunting and pecking with one hand and cleaning the litter box with the other.

And I call you a racist and a sexist because you are. Pallister's a loonie conservative too and I don't lob those terms at him. Do you really want me to use the search engine to support my case? Do you?

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I give Obama the benefit of the doubt. Unlike many big-time evangelical preachers, gays are well down Warren's list of priorities - I disagree with him, but with respect.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

More clever, inclusive gamesmanship by BO. It is what it is. But I can readily understand why the gay community is less than thrilled about BO's (not to mention Warren's) public performance in their special-interest area.

Draft saved Draft deleted