1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Reilly's piece this week

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bob Loblaw, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw New Member

As soon as I saw Rick Reilly's latest column this week in SI, I knew I had seen it before. And I was correct. It's almost a complete knock off of something ESPN's Page 2 had on its site on March 21st. I guess if you just pick a different freshman, it's OK.

Here's the Kevin Durant one that Page 2 had.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=durant/070321&sportCat=ncb

2. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

That's one long-ass legal pad.

I gotta get me one of those.

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

It was an odd read. Some of the reasons for staying seemed like good reasons to go and vice-versa.

4. Q-Bert

Q-Bert Member

The "Stay" list wasn't a list of reasons to stay, and the "Go" list wasn't a list of reasons to go. They were just lists of things to consider for each.

And I can't believe I used that as my first post.

5. On the plus side, your username is Q-Bert. And that's fantastic.
    You MUST add an avatar.

6. Q-Bert

Q-Bert Member

How's that?

7. Q-Bert

Q-Bert Member

It does kinda seem like Reilly borrowed the idea, but his wasn't exactly a cheap knockoff. Very well done, making each of the 'stay's and 'go's relate to each other. "The" Internal Revenue Service, was classic.

And, he actually did some reporting.

8. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

Not really a knock, but it didn't do anything for me. Probably because I'm so tired of Oden/Durant/NBA...or just tired.

9. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

Along the same lines, I came away not having learned much from the Tiger piece. He's competitive, driven and ridiculously wealthy? I had no idea...

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The Tiger piece was the worst thing I've read in SI in years.

Shite.

11. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I didn't even have enough interest in the Tiger story to read it. Just from the quote on the cover I wasn't thinking it was going to be a very enlightening story. And as Leo said, it doesn't appear that much was revealed in the story that we didn't already know. Just seemed like a random idea for a story, and if they didn't get anything new/exclusive, a waste of time as well.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

This probably belongs in the Pet Peeves thread, but since we're discussing the Tiger piece . . .

Please, no more "2.0" headlines to indicate an athlete has changed or is on some higher level.

Draft saved Draft deleted