1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Reilly wants credit for being first to Tweet

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SportsScribe5, Nov 14, 2012.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

That's gold Jerry! Gold I tell ya!!!

+1

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The odd thing about Reilly is I think he'd be a good edition to ESPN radio, if ESPN radio wasn't so determined to settle whether someone was a "buy or a sell", "elite or non-elite." Have him interviewing actors, politicians, writers, sports figures, actually discussing things and telling stories.

4. Petrie

Petrie Guest

[​IMG]

5. Petrie

Petrie Guest

[​IMG]

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Where's Machine Head been, anyway?

8. awriter

awriter Active Member

Few would argue he was absolutely one of the best -- if not the best -- back when he was writing big features for SI. Read his Marge Schott story. It's on

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's a fantastic idea. I listen to a lot of ESPN radio in the car because I don't care about the local teams, but I hate myself for it. Reilly would be a welcome addition to many of their craptastic shows. But there must be something in his contract about having his face out there.

I look at the whole Big Ben Tweet episode with some sadness for him. Perhaps Reilly knows his reputation is mud at the moment and was just trying to be relevant. Except reporting an NFL injury from the stadium isn't exactly trailblazing.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Exactly. That's why he has so many threads devoted to him here. Because of what he used to be. And he was a must-read most times. Now, he is a well-paid clown. He can still do it every now and then, but man is he hard to watch and read these days.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

TBL, surprisingly, is wrong again. Simmons signed with ESPN in 2001; Reilly signed in 2006 or 2007.

Anyway, when Reilly doesn't want to make out with random women in the LSU press box, he can still bring the fastball. He did that a couple weeks ago, in fact. http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8579599/chy-johnson-boys

And this was one of his finest: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/rick_reilly/04/25/reilly0501/index.html

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That first story ... holy shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted