1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Reilly raises ethical dillema in youth sports

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by suburbia, Aug 9, 2006.

1. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

I know it is Rick Reilly, but he does raise a very good, albeit hardly new, issue with his column here:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/rick_reilly/08/07/reilly0814/index.html

What would you have done, keeping in mind all parts of the context here?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Take it easy on the kid because he has cancer? No, you treat every kid the same.

I loved the kid's line at the end. Sure, he cried himself to sleep, but he woke up with great clarity.

Good story.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'd have done what those coaches did.

As a coach, don't you have some obligation to try and help your team win? If it's the choice between pitching to their best hitter or their worst hitter with the game on the line, I'd have probably walked the kid.

When I played catcher in Little League with a rag arm because no one else wanted to, I don't recall anyone not running on me... Granted, I didn't have cancer, but the kid was healthy enough to play ball...

Flip it around. What do those coaches tell their own players if the best hitter on the other team gets a hit? And, if the kid with cancer gets a hit, doesn't he end up on sportscenter and the ESPYS? People can't have life both ways.

4. If the game is serious enough to have a championship, you try to win the championship. If you don't want any feelings hurt, and you subscribe to the theory that "it's just a game" at that age, than they shouldn't play a championship, because it is taking the game pretty seriously to play for the title.

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

You have to walk the stud. Why are they hitting the cancer kid behind the stud anyway? Was the Sox coach hoping they'd not want to face the cancer kid?

It's not fair to the players for the coach to do anything buy his utmost to win the game. And despite what Reilly says, this wasn't for fun, it was for the league championship.

6. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Very good story.......and no way I wouldn't have pitched to the best player.
    The coaches of the Yankees had a chance to teach their team (who are children) an important life lesson and they failed beyond belief. I guarantee not one kid playing on that field will come close to playing professional baseball....but they will all have situations in their life where they can choose to be compassionate and understand the plight of others, or be selfish and do whats best for them.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Intentional walks in a game with 9- and 10-year-olds. God, that's pathetic. Pitch to the kid and try not to give up a homer. Get the next kid out and go to extra innings.

I'm ridiculously competitive, probably to a fault. But an IBB in that game, championship game or not, is ridiculous.

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Not only that, but in five years they won't remember one damn thing about that game. And that's true whether they won or lost.

But congratulations to the coaches on winning that 9-and-10-year-old league championship. Maybe Texas will need an assistant coach or two in a few seasons. That'll look good on the resumes.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

What's the life lesson: Don't play to win?

I mean, it would be one thing if the coach asked the kids to throw at somebody or something. They walked the best hitter to pitch to the worst hitter with the game on the line.

If the other coach is doing his job, how does that even happen?

10. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

My thoughts exactly....the "thrill" of that Championship will last for a few weeks at best...and they'll always know they won it because they chose to pitch to their peer with cancer.  That's a great lesson.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The kid's playing baseball. Those things happen when you play baseball.
    Coach did the right thing.

12. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

The life lesson is there is more to life than sports......especially when dealing with 9 and 10 year olds.  By Sept. that Championship will be a distant memory.........I'm willing to bet half the Yankees care more about Madden 2007 than the damn game, the coaches had a chance to show impressionable children sometimes doing the right thing is more important than getting a trophy, and in reality that right thing is the trophy.  

And the coach also showed how little confidence he had in his team, and pitcher.  If they're truly the best team, beat the best player.

Edit: I wouldn't have a problem with the coaches decision if the kids weren't so young, there 10 years old! But I'm sure they all got a trophy anyway.....probably every player in the league got a trophy.

Draft saved Draft deleted