1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Reilly leaves Sports Illustrated - now confirmed by NYT

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thebiglead, Oct 19, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Re: Rick Reilly leaves Sports Illustrated - apparently

Ryan, without question.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

After reading today's lame effort, maybe it's time for him to go. He had a good run. Good luck at his next stop. Now hire somebody who cares to take his place.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Well, you'll have to read real slow.
    Because he's only filing once in that 180 days.

4. Re: Rick Reilly leaves Sports Illustrated - apparently

You broke my heart with that statement Mizzougrad. I've always agreed and respected your posts and opinions. I'm going to have to look the other way on this one, so that my view of you remains the same. ;)

5. Re: Rick Reilly leaves Sports Illustrated - apparently

No one said it had to be just current stuff ... plus I don't read as much sports as all y'all ...

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Just got home from work. Read all four pages of this thread.

I stopped getting SI in about 1999. I bought it periodically from then until recently.

I got my first Sports Illustrated in the mail Wednesday since subscribing a couple weeks ago.

The first place I turned, like I did in 1998, 1999 and eariler (since eighth grade actually) was the back page.

Reilly SUCKED. A cheap, lazy TV schedule type thing for his column. Not funny. Not insightful. Not like anything I remembered from 10 or so years ago.

He's probably still good when he wants to be. And he'll be good at whatever he chooses to do now. But, his time had passed SI. I look forward to someone else.

7. Re: Rick Reilly leaves Sports Illustrated - apparently

Well you have your opinion Pete, and I have mine.

I'll give Danny Boy a chance to replace Reilly and I hope he does even better. If he falls on his face, my subscription to SI will end. I buy the magazine for two reasons ... the front and the back. There are no better photos than the Leading Off section and there is no better columnist than Rick Reilly.

It's what is in between that I find sub-standard and hardly worthy my money. No Reilly and a bad start by Patrick and I'll be cancelling my subscription. Good thing it runs out at Christmas since I get it every year as a Christmas present. I'll just ask to have that money transferred to Playboy. Ole Hefner still knows how to keep me glued to his mag.

:)

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice...

9. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

The first thing I thought when I heard the news:
    And ESPN recently bought rights to the first two rounds of the Master's ...

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I know but one thing:

Reilly, mailing it in, is better than Patrick, in print.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Can't argue that.

However, Reilly, on full throttle, is so much blatantly better than Reilly, mailing it in, that it's heartbreaking.

12. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

So I too just subscribed for two years about 7 weeks ago. Can I cancel and get my money back or am I screwed reading a shitty magazine for the next 22 months.

Draft saved Draft deleted