1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Reilly leaves Sports Illustrated - now confirmed by NYT

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thebiglead, Oct 19, 2007.

1. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Good memory, Small Town Guy. I was just going to post the same thing.

Could not agree more. SI has to develop some sort of TV presence. It was a mistake to pull the plug on CNN/SI when they did. They didn't need to give up on TV, they just needed to get better at it.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Poindexter,

Does Jennifer Marlowe work in your office?

By adding Patrick, SI clearly feels it's important to be personality-driven. Too bad. Because its best days were when its essayists/columnists combined opinion with reporting. I've never understood the fascination with "back page must be a column." Esquire doesn't have that, and it's still a great read. So was SI when it didn't.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Rick Reilly is yesterday's news. Just my opinion. And I also find him uncomfortable to watch. Those Reilly riffs were a trainwreck.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I actually think he would do a pretty good job if they gave him a radio show... Here's hoping they give him the slot after Mike and Mike and kick the other douchebag to the curb...

5. I think The Other Douchebag just became a nickname.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anybody know if The Magazine and ESPN.com are making profits on their own? How much does the cable subscriber fees play into ESPN's bottom line. I'm thinking they might have the highest budget of any journalistic enterprise on television. $2 million a year for Reilly?

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It's probably impossible to tell. Shells can be shifted around so much in big-time corporations, so it's tough to tell who is spending what where.

8. Jones

Jones Active Member

I know the magazine is paying only a small percentage of Reilly's salary. Most of that is coming off the parent's books.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Just by looking at the quantity of ads, I'd have to think ESPN The Mag is profitable. Wonder if being biweekly somehow helps the bottom line too.

Anyone know if the Mag has plans to ever go weekly?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know someone who interviewed there within the last year who asked that question and was told "not anytime soon"...

11. thetypewriter

thetypewriter New Member

Please get out and see the world? Uh, yes I have. And I know that most newspaper writers in this country, including the ones at small papers and even some bigger papers, make about the same or even less than your secretary does. (Good for your secretary!) Not everyone works in a big city or a big market where the average salary is higher than that.

But to say that we deserve to make $200,000 a year, like that should be a given and that we are entitled to it, is ridiculous. Reilly is not making his millions because he is a great journalist. He's making that money because he is an entertainer.

If that's what gets you going, that's fine. But to me, it's about the integrity of the craft, not about name recognition or the lights of the TV cameras.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

So you're suggesting a salary cap?

Draft saved Draft deleted