1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Reilly leaves Sports Illustrated - now confirmed by NYT

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thebiglead, Oct 19, 2007.

1. thetypewriter

thetypewriter New Member

Wow, all I can say is this: Does ANY sportswriter deserve to make seven figures, or even more than $100,000 or $200,000? Geez, we're not neurosurgeons.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Journalists have God complexes, too!

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Why not? If there is demand there for our work, why should we not be going to the highest bidder, if we so choose?

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Does any middle reliever deserve to make $18 million over three years?

5. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Adam Eaton?

6. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Heresy. Next, you'll be saying no baseball player deserves to make $25 million.

If they're bringing in subscribers/viewers -- adding value to the company -- how is it any worse than paying utility infielders $2 million per?

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Screw the people actually turning out the product people are interested in purchasing. I say let the corporations keep all the money.

Yay corporations!

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

While everybody loves to bash SI, it's still much, much better than ESPN The Mag. In the end, I think substance will top style.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Thank you, Karl Marx.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

A secretary at my office makes $56,000. She files papers and answers phones. Nothing else.

Idiots in the mortgage industry were making $200,000-$300,000 the past few years. They may not be now, but a few years of that can build up a nest egg.

Please get out and see the world.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

"You ask me if I have a god complex? Let me tell you something, I am god."

As for the battle between the two, didn't SI turn down the chance to buy part of ESPN when it was first starting? I sort of remember that story in McCambridge's book The Franchise (excellent book by the way), and how that was a decision SI came to regret rather quickly.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I hope substance beats style, but ESPN is relentless. To avoid them, you have to make an effort and, truth be told, I think a big chunk of their audience doesn't like to make any kind of effort.
    I know CNN/SI crashed and burned, but I'm a little surprised that they haven't tried to make it go with Fox Sports or expand their efforts with HBO. Have a weekly show like Inside the NFL, but for all sports

Draft saved Draft deleted