1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Reilly: I participated in Paterno hagiography

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Really strong column. This has been discussed many times on SJ with much disagreement but I have much respect for columnist who are willing to admit they were wrong when the find out that the story was not what they thought. When Bill Plaske wrote a column admitting he that he got it wrong on the MLB PED scandal many here felt that column was self serving. Perhaps they are but it does build a trust with the readers. I doubt that you will ever see Luppy write such a column.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, that was brilliant and powerful.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Excellent column, and I'll note, he's also calling for PSU to receive the death penalty. Guess he's not too concerned about the coffee shop waitresses.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Very good column.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Funny but I don't recall -- not that I've read too many columns about PedoStateU, I admit -- someone calling Paterno a coward before.

Hadn't occurred to me, but that's exactly what he was. A despicable coward.

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I'm usually among the Reilly-mailing-it-in crowd, but this was well done. Personalized it at just the right level.

7. Mizzougrad96

I think I may be coming around to the "give the program the death penalty" way of thinking...

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This isn't the Rick Reilly I know. The Rick Reilly I know makes bad puns and teeth jokes and rehashes columns. I like this new Rick Reilly.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That was super strong. I don't read Rick Reilly if I can help it anymore, but that was a reminder of what he is capable of.

That said, and I am not just playing devil's advocate. ... It is really easy to kick someone when they are down. It is even easier to kick them when they are out.

Now that Paterno is gone, and the court of public opinion is ruling him to be a monster, it isn't all that difficult to write these kinds of columns. Which is why we are seeing them. I know we know a lot more about the man's behavior and actions today than we did before the report, but my question is, would Reilly have had to the guts to write something even a smidge as negative as this if Paterno was still alive and as powerful as he was?

I do respect the column. It was the right thing to write, and it was well done. But basically Reilly admitted to slurping the guy when he was alive and riding on top of the world, and now he is another columnist lining up to kick him when he is dead and his carcass is being dragged around behind the car.

It was well written. But. ...

10. Mizzougrad96

Well, I think most of us can get caught up in painting certain pictures of the guys who we cover. In 1986, I'd bet you'd have to have been a serious insider to have heard anything but praise about Paterno. Sometimes people want to hear and journalists want to write that some legendary coach is as great a person as they are a coach. I get that.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You could probably make the case that if he ws alive and still powerful nobody would be writing these columns because no one would have found out the truth.

You can't admit a mistake until you know you've made one.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I thought Drew Magary made an interesting point about the death penalty, and why he was against it: It will give the program and the fan base a gigantic martyr complex, and make it easier for them to feel like they are victims too in all this.

Draft saved Draft deleted