1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Reilly had $3.4 million reasons to leave SI for ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanOregon, Dec 11, 2007.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's gotta be nice to be a sportswriter and actually make more money than a few of the athletes you cover.

http://www.alleyinsider.com/2007/12/how-to-make-money-in-old-media-stay-in-old-media.html

2. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

No journalist is worth that. None. Ernest Hemingway isn't worth that. Riles better have a book deal included and other revenue generating work. A strict contributer? Not worth. There is nothing he can write as a columnist that is worth that money.

Maybe this will trickle down to us? Maybe sports journalists have arrived and eventually the salary structure will trickle down.

I somehow doubt it.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Bill Simmons had a cold today.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

We need to have this discussion again?

Who cares how much he's making?

I'm glad for him. Hell, I hope to make that sort of money one day, though I'm doubting it.

No need to begrudge him.

Apparently ESPN thinks he is "worth it."

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Once again, no relief pitcher (I'm looking at you, Eric Gange) is worth $10 million a year. But the free market allows for it. You're worth what people will pay. It's the backbone of economics.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Outstanding.

7. I can say from personal experience on both sides of the question that a sudden bump in sportswriter salaries NEVER trickles down.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm no Reilly fan. In fact I dislike his stuff and think he's an annoying, smarmy grandstander who phones it in most of the time.

But sure he's worth it if ESPN believes he's worth it. And, no, it won't, nor should it, trickle down to anyone else. If his presence can drive subscriptions, he's worth every dime before he writes a paragraph. When you can move the needle you get paid, simple as that.

9. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

If the ad next to his column sells for a million a week, you are getting a bargain on the guy.
    just sayin' ...

10. John

John Well-Known Member

Now I know what kind of raise to ask for at my next evaluation.

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

You are worth what someone is willing to pay. More power to him.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Everybody has a price -- now we know what Rick's price is.

Draft saved Draft deleted