1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Cerrone out as Yankees PR guru

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Oct 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BYH

BYH Active Member

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Cerrone is a good guy. It always amazed me how he lasted at that nuthouse. It isn't just PR, it's doing anything for that organization. People get treated like shit, get paid poorly and walk around as anxiety-ridden zombies. Zillo seems like a good, competant guy, but if they let Cerrone go just to give the job to Zillo, it makes no sense.

3. "And, in the end..."
    I post this because Rick's a Beatles nut.
    Good guy in a bad job.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Whenever I see his name my first thought is, Why did Big Stein hire a former Blue Jays catcher as his mouthpiece?

[​IMG]

(yeah, I know they spell their names differently)

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Who was Rick bangin' in the Yankee's organization?

6. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Disagree. I'd call him by far the least helpful of any MLB PR guy I've ever dealt with. Can't speak for those on the beat.
    I'll take Jay Horwitz over him in a heartbeat. And he's more entertaining, too.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

How is George Costanza not mentioned as a leading candidate?

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Not just a former Blue Jays catcher, but if I recall correctly he was the Yankees catcher that had to step in when Thurman Munson died after crashing his plane.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I thought Jerry Narron started the first game after Munson was killed.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

And also a guy who once said to Steinbrenner "Fuck you, you fat son of a bitch" when the owner ripped into the players in the locker room during the '81 Division Series against the Brewers.

Oh, and some guys filled in for Munson for the rest of the 1979 season, but it was Cerone who was obtained during the following offseason and hailed as the new starting catcher to fill his shoes.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

If by entertaining you mean completely incompetent, unwilling or unable to actually DO any work, unable to put one foot in front of the other and generally unable to do anything other than get his fat head maximum television exposure...sure.

12. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

He definitely does get a lot of TV time. Then again, he's pretty hard to miss :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.