1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Bozich - Gil Thorp

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ECrawford, Dec 19, 2006.

1. ECrawford

ECrawford Member

Thought this was pretty cool, and I'd pass it along. The desk was surprised Sunday night when my colleague Rick Bozich's name appeared on a character in Gil Thorp. From there, this story developed.

Funny stuff.

Link: http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061219/SPORTS/612190406&GID=n0c48VMUnKfrN2fQNdWygEatp4JmKONtfmerp0OjRdM%3D

'Rick Bozich' now officially quite a character

By C. Ray Hall
    chall@courier-journal.com
    The Courier-Journal

Readers of the "Gil Thorp" comic strip met a new character yesterday -- a high school journalist named "Rick Bozich."

The blond youth has the same name as the longtime sports columnist for The Courier-Journal.

Eerie coincidence or intentional name-dropping?

It was intentional, said Neal Rubin, who writes the comic strip about a granite-jawed high school coach.

Rubin said he encountered a Bozich column a few years ago while surfing the Internet.

"I said, 'Wow, that's a well-written column,' and so now I just go look for him every now and then," Rubin said yesterday by phone from Detroit, where he writes for the Detroit News.

"When I needed an editor (for the Milford Trumpet), he just came to mind."

The real Bozich, a member of the class of 1971 at Merrillville High School in northern Indiana, got the word Sunday night in a phone call from The Courier-Journal office.

(more at link)

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

This only happened because Ryan Sonner threatened legal action had his name been used.

Seriously, congrats on the honor Rick.

3. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Rick's a good guy.

Funny stuff.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I had no idea Neil Rubin wrote Gil Thorp... that's pretty cool...
    Better Rick Bozich than Tom Markowski...

Draft saved Draft deleted